Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

My psychiatrist is doing a drug screen. I take Adderall and…

Customer Question
My psychiatrist is doing a...
My psychiatrist is doing a drug screen. I take Adderall and Valium. Do they specifically look at these two drugs or will anything else be possibly looked at? He is doing this screen to make sure I am taking my medications properly which I am. However, I smoke marijuana everyday atnight. I have stopped smoking since he told me about it (which is a week) and I have a few weeks left but I don't know if thats enough time to remove everything out of my system? I am definitely not going to be smoking since he says he will be doing it periodically/randomly after the first one, but I am worried about losing my prescriptions. I genuinely need them for ADHD and Anxiety, and I don't misuse them. Should I tell him beforehand, hope for the best, ***** ***** using a detox? I haven't smoke in a week and the manic aspect of me is coming back. How should i convince him that medical cannabis helps me? I am willing to cut down on the # of times I smoke, and it actually helps the manic symptoms. Plus I am not sure if the lamictal is actually helping. I forget to take it and nothing bad happens except after a few days I get angry and irritable. The Adderall not only helps me focus but also has stabilized me during the day. How should I approach him about this? I am responsible with my medications except I forget about the lamictal. My psychiatrist is a good guy and we have a good relationship.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Drug Testing
3/8/2018
Drug Testing Expert: Paul Wolfe,
 replied 1 month ago
Paul Wolfe

I will try to answer your questions. Most comprehensive urine test will look for a variety of drugs in your system. This would most likely include: amphetamines (adderall), benzodiazepines (valium), marijuana, codeine (or hydrocodone), and cocaine. Marijuana may stay positive in your urine for several weeks after you have used it. I would suggest that you have an honest and open conversation with your psychiatrist regarding your use of marijuana for anxiety / Manic. I would also mention to the psychiatrist that you do not feel like the lamictal is helping. Your psychiatrist will want you to be honest with him. It is possible that altering your medications may help control some of your anxiety/manic moods. I hope this is helpful. Please rate me with 5 stars. Please feel free to send a follow up if necessary.

Paul Wolfe
Paul Wolfe
Paul Wolfe