Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

I admitted to driving and the breathalyzer result was .09. I…

Customer Question
I admitted to driving...

I admitted to driving and the breathalyzer result was .09. I am have a severe case of iron deficient anemia, low platelets and high liver enzymes. Can any of this contribute to a DUI?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Fatigue, nose bleeds, easy bruising, loss of appetite, sub body temps, bone pain, bleeding gums

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the pain? Does the pain affect your breathing?

The anemia effects my breathing due to a lack of red blood cells to carry oxygen. My symptoms began over a year ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also have hypothyroidism, prolactinemia and unknown deposits in my brain

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
11/24/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are conditions in which you can have a false positive breathalyzer test. Liver disease, low blood glucose levels as well as certain medications that you may be on for your condition may cause a false positive test in this situation. In your case, if the breathalyzer test was a false positive then a blood test or urine test for alcohol should be done which will show that you did not use any alcohol. A breathlyzer test is not very accurate test for detection of alcohol use as it can be confused by many things, especially in patients who already have various medical conditions like yourself. The medications that you are on, your blood glucose levels, your high liver enzymes and even kidney function can lead to a false positive result. Essentially any condition which can cause increased production of acetone in your body (even fasting) can lead to development of a false positive result.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

How would being anemic and having very low platelets affect my bac? Is that something that can be used in my defense in court?
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a new expert.

The anemia and low platelets will usually not cause a false blood alcohol level. If the anemia is so severe that there is decreased oxygen delivery to the brain, a certain alcohol level may have a greater effect on you than on the average person, but the level, per se, would not be different.

The other expert is correct that the elevated liver enzymes indicating liver disease would be more likely to a false result on the Breathalyzer.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor