Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Can benzyl alcohol cause positive readings while doing Blood…

Customer Question
Hi can benzyl alcohol...

Hi can benzyl alcohol cause positive readings while doing Blood Alcohol Concentration or Breathalyser test

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Normal breathalyser uses blows of air through mouth and a subject has been found positive. He claimed he used a lip balm which contained benzyl alcohol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No issues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
11/19/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

the chances of a lip balm causing a positive alcohol breathalyzer test is very very low

it is most likely the person had been drinking alcohol

what was the breathalyzer test reading? was it very high?

It was 0.004% in the first attempt and again 0.004% in the second attempt, there was an interval of 17 minutes between the two attempts

0.004% is a tiny amount and can be caused by use of alcohol mouth washes several hours ago

or possibly from alcohol in the lip balm.

it is a very low amount.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com