Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

I took a drug test and came positive for cocaine. I have

Hi, JA: Hello. How can I...
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I took a drug test and came positive for cocaine. I have never taken anything like that. I smoke week but not any kind of other street drug. I have been handling phenobarbitol and diazapam because my chihuahua has been having grand mal seizures. Could this have cause a positive in the drug test?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Well i got put on suspension for my job. I did tell the medical review officer i have never taken cocaine. He was not hearing it . I am supposed to go see a counselor. I can't afford to be off of work for that long.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have only one kidney left. Have intermittent high blood pressure. But otherwise healthy.
10/10/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

NO.

Handling these medications would not cause a positive drug test.

What type of drug test was this exactly? DOT?

I think so but not positive.

OK

Any legitamate drug test sends any positive result for GC/MS confirmation.

This does not make a mistake or succumb to false positives.

If they did not send it for GC/MS [which you can ask] then it is not a legitimate test.

If they did, then the result is correct and the only explanation would be that they somehow mixed up samples, or someone did not do the GC/ MS.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

I really would like to but can't afford to if I'll be out of work for that long. I must add that i spilled the bottle over and had to wipe it up. And once she was fighting me and bit the syringe and all the meds came back at me. This is all I can think of but n

AS I said, neither of those drugs is going to cause you to test positive for cocaine.

If they did confirmatory testing, the result is not wrong.

Unless they mixed up samples.

Please review my answer above and let me know if you did not receive it.

Ok thank you

OK

Good luck.

Please don't forget a 5 rating which allows me to provide this service and sees that I get paid by just answer.

You have to click it on the rating scale.

Thanks.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician