Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

My son had to take a hair follicle test for pre employment.

Customer Question
My son had to...

My son had to take a hair follicle test for pre employment. It was taken on Wednesday and HR said the results have not come back as of today. He was smoked pot in the past (ver Little) but within the last 90 days. He has done a lot of detoxing of his hair. Should he be concerned that may still turn up positive or perhaps what does inconclusive suggest. This is second hair test because the first one was mislabeled- that's what HR said. Don't know what that means either. Help.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I'm not sure. I would think a standard 5 panel. In what sense do you mean time sensitive ?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. He's a good kid with poor judgment at times but not a habitual user of anything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
9/28/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. You are correct, hair follicle tests can still pick up marijuana use for up to 90 days, so there is still some concern that he may turn up positive. It will depend on how much he used, for how long and how many times, but even a single use could theoretically be picked up. Detoxing hair unfortunately is not very effective. Test results are either positive or negative. You'll have to wait and see how they come in.Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD