Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

I drank a glass of wine on Friday night and a beer last

Customer Question
I drank a glass...

I drank a glass of wine on Friday night and a beer last night. I could possibly have a drug test on Monday and they do send it off to a lab. Test for ETG. Will I fail it?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have chronic high bp. I take clonidine, norvasc, gabapentin and toporol

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now in this situation there are a couple of things to consider, one is that a EtG test is able to detect alcohol use for the last 80 hours quite easily and upto 105 hours in some cases HOWEVER the quantity of ingested alcohol also makes a difference here as well. The fact that you ingested a relatively small amount of alcohol goes in your favor. That means while a larger quantity of alcohol would have been easily detected by the test but in your case the small quantity of alcohol gives you a chance of getting a negative test result back. I would put the chances or a negative test result at 40% approximately as the test is still sensitive and can detect alcohol use.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I really never drink. It was just a casual drink with some friends. I know the more time in between, the better. Would drinking more water or is there anything I can do to possibly help eliminate it faster?

Unfortunately no, drinking more water may speed up the elimination somewhat but not significantly, studies have shown it may reduce the detection time by an hour or two but not much more. The problem with EtG is that there is not much a patient can do to help in its elimination, given that is a metabolite of alcohol which is formed after a certain amount of time in the liver and then eliminated at a set rate according to the enzymatic processes in that particular patient.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating