Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

I have been coughing out dark specks in my phlegm. Sometimes…

Customer Question
Hi, I have been coughing...
Hi, I have been coughing out dark specks in my phlegm. Sometimes it comes out when I'm just clearing my throat. There is a rough feeling at the back of my throat daily. I do smoke weed daily though and I've been trying to stop.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
Sometimes I do get chest pains that come and go. Chest pains will feel sharp and stabbing through the chest with breathing. Chest pains are usually on the left side. The throat feels tight when I breathe sometimes too. When I talk or project my voice, there can be chest pain as well.
9/7/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time, so ill quickly answer this question for you. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed inflammation not only in the throat but also in the lungs as well. The presence of dark specks in the phlegm could indicate small specks of clotted blood which is being coughed out because of the inflammed mucosa in the back of the throat. This would cause the rough feeling in the throat as well. The chest pain that you have could indicate an infection in the lungs or even inflammation of the major airways which can lead to this problem. If you have had a long history of smoking, that is smoking more than a pack a day for more than 10 years then you could have some damage to teh lungs which is causing the problem. This would need to be evaluated with the help of a simple clinical examination followed by a chest xray which would help in determining the underlying cause.

I would suggest that you DO get this evaluated as soon as possible as the dark specks in the phlegm are concerning and need to be looked into.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor