Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Last week I did about a gram of Coke and drank heavily. That…

Customer Question
Last week I did about...
Last week I did about a gram of Coke and drank heavily. That was last weekend on Saturday the 8th. This week on Friday the 14th did some Coke but it wasn't a gram. I think I might of done 3 lines and drank heavily. I have a follow up drug test scheduled for the 20th of this month. What should I use to get clear up. I have started the 3 day toxin rid program. I am on my 2nd day now.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
7/17/2017
Drug Testing Expert: DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

There is no such thing as something "to get clear", that is a myth and a scam.

However, let me understand this, you have a 6 day period of time before the test since the last use of substances correct?

What are my chances of passing the urine test in six days? And they do send the urine to a lab.
Is anyone there?
Last week I did about a gram of Coke and drank heavily. That was last weekend on Saturday the 8th. This week on Friday the 14th did some Coke but it wasn't a gram. I think I might of done 3 lines and drank heavily. I have a follow up drug test scheduled for the 20th of this month. What should Iuse to get clear up. I have started the 3 day toxin rid program. I am on my 2nd day now.
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The odds are very good that you will pass a urine drug test performed 6 days after the use of cocaine and alcohol. The usual period of detection is up to 5 days, even with the alcohol use. However, since there is always a chance that an individual may metabolize drugs differently, it cannot be said that it would be impossible for the test to detect use one day beyond the usual period of detection.

There is no intervention that will clear the drug (or in the case of cocaine, its metabolite, benzoylecgonine) from your system more quickly. Drinking plenty of fluid to flush the system and dilute the urine can help, as it may help to lower a borderline concentration of the drug metabolite below the threshold of detection. However, even this intervention should be used cautiously, as excessive dilution of the urine would also be considered a failure of the test.

As for whether they send the urine to a lab, it depends upon the specific program. The initial screening test can be done can be done at the collection site, if they are set up to do so. It is only the confirmatory test that must be sent to a lab. Some collection sites, though, are not set up to perform the screening tests, and in those cases, the specimen is sent to a lab even for the initial screening test.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

It was only that two times I used cocaine. Will that even matter?

No. not if there was only two times of use 6 days apart.

How many days apart would matter than?

There are studies that show that chronic daily drug use can have a longer period of detection. The studies do not specifically address how many days it would be necessary to prolong the detection time. However, two episodes of drug use that are longer than the usual period of detection would clearly not be an issue.

chance of passing the test is good?

Yes, the chances of passing the test is very good.

what's the the detection time for cocaine and it's metabolites, alcohol and it metabolites. And also my urine sample is getting send to quest diagnostics. I heard they're one of the best in the business.

The detection time for the cocaine metabolite is what I said above. The cocaine, itself, is only detectable for less than a day, so any test that says that it is for cocaine is really for the cocaine metabolite, benzoylecgonine.

The detection time for alcohol metabolites is even shorter. The EtG test is stated that it can be positive for up to 80 hours after the last drink of alcohol, but for the vast majority of people, it is only detectable for the first day or two.

Yes, Quest is an excellent lab, but even the best lab cannot detect a drug that is below the threshold.

six days will be long enough to test below 150 ng/ml?

Yes. The usual period of detection is the five days that I said above, and that is even in labs that use a threshold of 50 ng/ml.

On flushing out my system, what do you consider an exessive amount of water in ounces?

It is fine to drink about two and a half to three quarts per day.

I should be ok getting tested on the 6th clean day? Right?
should pass

Yes, you should be OK and you should pass (although I am not sure what you mean by the difference in between being OK and passing).

I meant to pass under the 50ng/ml threshold.

Yes. As I said above, the usual period of detection is five days, even in labs that use a 50 ng/ml threshold.

I'm just paranoid. I was reading some posting on the web so study show it can detect the cocaine metabolites between 5-11 days and consuming with alcohol prolong the metabolizing process.

The only studies that show a detection period between 5 and 11 days are the studies that I noted above on people with chronic daily use of the drug.

Alcohol affects cocaine metabolism, forming cocaethylene, but does not significantly prolong the period of detection of a single use of cocaine when alcohol is also ingested.

Which metabolites is harder or takes longer to get rid/metabolize?

It depends upon what you mean.

The only metabolite of cocaine that is looked for on standard testing is the benzoylecgonine that I mentioned above. Since none of the other metabolites of cocaine (and there are several) are included in the standard test, there is no metabolite that is harder or takes longer to get rid of.

However, if you are asking about the other metabolites for a reason other than standard testing, the metabolite that is the slowest to be cleared from the system is ecgonine methylester, which can take about 3 days longer than the benzoylecgonine to be cleared from the system.

Marijuana metabolites

Are you saying that you also used marijuana?

Ye

On the same days?

Or did you use marijuana in a different pattern?

Same

There are thousands of compounds in marijuana, but the drug that is included in tests is THC. The metabolite of THC that takes the longest to leave the body is a carboxylic acid metabolite, abbreviated as THC-COOH.

For marijuana testing, in general, and specifically the detection time of THC-COOH, it is very dependent upon the frequency of use. With a single use, the usual period of detection is 3 days. With moderate use of marijuana (4 days during a week), the usual period of detection is 5 days. With daily use, the usual period of detection is 10 days. With heavy daily use, it can be much longer.

Since you only used the marijuana twice during a week, the usual period of detection would be about 4 days, so you should be OK when tested 6 days after last use.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?