Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am in a PHP program since 4/1/2017, following the DUI

Customer Question

I am in a PHP program since 4/1/2017, following the DUI charges. Have abstained from alcohol completely, however received a letter asking for explanation of elevated Ets, Etg level on 4/14. No alcohol consumed!
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

are you male or female? how old are you?

you can get false positive in ETG in your urine if you have a urinary tract infection.

you should ask them to check your urine for bacteria and UTI.

here are some articles about that

References regarding the value of using EtS as well as EtG testing. (It costs the lab about 50 cents more to test for both analytes.)

• Helander A, Dahl H. Urinary tract infection: a risk factor for false-negative urinary ethyl glucuronide but not ethyl sulfate in the detection of recent alcohol consumption. Clin Chem. 2005 Sep;51(9):1728-30
  • Helander A, Olsson I, Dahl H. Postcollection synthesis of ethyl glucuronide by bacteria in urine may cause false identification of alcohol consumption. Clin Chem. 2007 Oct;53(10):1855-7.
  • Wurst FM, Dresen S, Allen JP, Wiesbeck G, Graf M, Weinmann W. Ethyl sulphate: a direct ethanol metabolite reflecting recent alcohol consumption. Addiction. 2006 Feb;101(2):204-11

you can read more here

http://etg.weebly.com/incidental-exposure.html

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a physician in a PHP program, have been sober since the 4/1, and received the letter today where they state that my etg level is 11,800ng/mL, and ets 1710 ng/ml. It is very frustrating as there was no alcohol use.

well, I have given you some articles that show a UTI can cause ETG in the urine.

you have to ask them to test your urine for bacteria and signs of UTI.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com