Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

What does a liquidated neg. urine test mean. urine. I don't

Customer Question
what does a liquidated neg...
what does a liquidated neg. urine test mean.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: urine. I don't know what you mean by time sensitive?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: What I am basically asking is this....I went for two urine drug tests-10 panel. they both came back liquidated negative. what does that mean? And if the results are negative why was I denied employment?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
5/10/2017
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It is not typical for a lab to use the term, liquidated negative, but if this was considered a failure and you were denied employment, then it likely means that the urine was too dilute. Even when each of the drug test components are negative, a urine specimen that is too dilute is considered a failure.

Do you have a copy of the lab report?

No. but I might be able to get one. What would the lab report establish.

The lab report would include the data upon which the statement of a 'liquidated negative" is based, so I can better interpret what they mean by the term.

ok. thank you. does a 10 panel urine test for alcohol? That is the only drug I have ever done and it had been one drink about 12 hours before the test
still if the results are negative how can this be a legal way of denying me employment after they have already extended the offer.
I don't want to be charged extra for a phone call. I am happy with just texting. this is my last answer.
I mean my last question.

A 10 panel test typically does not check for alcohol or for the alcohol metabolite, EtG. Regardess of the panel, a dilute urine specimen is considered a failed test. If you are a sports fan, then you may have heard that two prospective football players "failed" their drug tests at the NFL combine because their urine was too dilute. They also had every drug result as negative, but the dilute specimen was considered a failure and a "first strike" according to the drug use policy in the NFL. They claimed that they were dirnking extra fluids because they were sick, but the reason for a dilute urine specimen is generally irrelevant when these tests are interpreted.

It is fine to continue to communicate by text. The offer for a phone call is an automated offer.

Thank you. I am finished for now.

Very good. If you can get the lab report and attach it, I would be glad to comment further

Dr. D. Love, Doctor