Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had to take a hair drug test for a union job opportunity

Customer Question

I had to take a hair drug test for a union job opportunity and they said my hair was too short so took it from my armpit, the last time I smoked marijuana was February of last year so about 13 months ago and I did coke once last April so about 12 months ago....since then I've taken no drugs at all, they said they would only call if I failed and I haven't gotten a call yet which is a good sign but I'm still nervous, I took the test 2 weeks ago, 9 business days, what are the chances I will fail?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It would be extremely unlikely that you would fail this test. It is true that armpit hair does not grow as fast or as predictably as the hair on your head. So, a hair test done on armpit hair will typically look at a longer period of time than the standard 90 day period of a hair test done on head hair.

However, we commonly are talking about assessing the past 4-6 months, and occasionally longer, but it would be extremely unlikely that the hair test would detect drug use from 12 and 13 months ago.

And yes, it is a good sign that they have not yet called, which would also support that you have not failed the test.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long does it usually take to hear from the MRO if you fail? The testing was done by Omega labs

The lab testing component is typically completed within 3 business days, and the MRO will usually contact clients shortly thereafter, but the MRO may have other responsibilities, so clients may not hear from the MRO until 5-7 business days.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.