Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

I smoked marajuana on September 3, 3-4 hits, September 24 I

Customer Question
hit and then October 8...
I smoked marajuana on September 3, 3-4 hits, September 24 I hit and then October 8 1-2 hits, I have a hair follicle test and blood test to be done on November 30th. Although my urine in clean (I took a test), will I fail my hair follicle and blood test. I hadn't smoked in over three years. I am not a frequent user
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Hair follicle and blood test
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Drug Testing
I'm sorry yes the question is time sensitive since this is due next week
11/21/2016
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 12 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

Nobody can say that you definitely will or will not pass a hair follocile test on november 30th, but you are likely to pass.

There are no studies that look at the threshold number of hits over multiple exposures that can be detected by a hair follicle drug test.

However, it is true that the hair follicle drug tests are very poor at detecting single uses of any drug. That does not mean that someone that used a drug one time in the 90 day period covered by the hair follicle drug test is guaranteed to pass, but they usually will pass.

Although a hit can vary according to the smoking habits of the individual, the description that you have provided sounds like it would be low enough that you are likely to pass.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

And there clearly is no possibility of detection in the blood test.

I have very long hair, cutting it would not help with the hair test? I am 5"6 and 190 lbs
Would detoxifying my Body help with the hair follicle?

No, and cutting the hair may create more problems.

The hair follicle test looks at 90 days by only looking at the last portion of growth that corresponds to that 90 days. Hair on the head grows at a relatively consistent rate of about a half inch per month, so they will measure out one and a half inches close to the scalp and only test that segment. Any hair length beyond the inch and a half will be trimmed off the specimen and discarded. If someone cuts their hair so that it is still longer than an inch and a half, it will make no difference. But if someone cuts their hair so that it is shorter than an inch and a half, then they may choose to use hair from other locations on the body, and the length of times covered by this other hair is far less predictable, so using hair from other locations s something that would generally be better to avoid.

Detoxifying the body will not make any significant difference in a hair follicle test. It is questionable how much detoxification accelerates clearance of the drug, but in your case, it clearly will not help because the marijuana is already well out of your body. The drug is only incorporated into the hair in the segment that is being formed while the drug is in your system proportional to the amount in your system, and that portion of hair has already grown beyond the scalp in your case. There is evidence that hair bleaching products and certain hair coloring products can cause the hair to lose some of the drug incorporated into the hair. The problem is that it may be perceived as suspicious if someone suddenly bleaches their hair when informed that they will need to do a hair drug test.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor