Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a random 47643N DOT Drug panel test last night. I have

Customer Question

I had a random 47643N DOT Drug panel test last night. I have a prescription for Norco 10/back pain and other ongoing ailments. Is this particular med tested for? How long is the typical wait time if I will get a call from the MRO ? Finally, if I test positive for this prescription med what is the best way to answer questions ? I don't want to lose this job.. I have been working strategically for years to get this job and with this particular airline? Thank you..
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This test does not directly look for the hydrocodone in the Norco, but it is a bit more complicated. The test does include a screening test for opiates. However, the screening test for opiates is designed to detect morphine and those drugs that are metabolized into morphine, such as codeine and heroin. The hydrocodone is a semisynthetic opioid and is not metabolized into morphine, so will typically not be detected by the opiate screening test.

However, there is a small chance of cross-reactivity, particularly when there are higher concentration of the hydrocodone. So, while the screening test typically will not detect the hydrocodone, there is a small chance that the hydrocodone can cause a positive result.

If the urine is sent for confirmatory testing, such as a GC/MS, the confirmatory test will readily detect any of the prescription opioids, including the hydrocodone.

If you do have a positive test, then you should answer questions honestly about the prescription that you have, including why the medicine is prescribed and how you are taking it.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

I forgot to mention that the experts do not handle or even have access to the financial aspects of the system. However, you can communicate with customer service by sending a message to***@******.*** and they can assist you with any financial issues.