Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

I tested a false positive and lost my contract with a pain

Customer Question
clinic. I didn't do...
I tested a false positive and lost my contract with a pain clinic. I didn't do drugs and I am getting a lawyer, but I need to find a test that will confirm the false positive due to amoxicillin I took on vacation. Is there a hair test that can detest amoxicilllin?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: It was urine in June, so I'm probably screwed. I can't even sleep I'm so livid. I need pain killers because I have a birth defect in my back. Half the problem is I'm so ashamed because they think I need help. I'm trying to find a good hair test. I'll pay for it, I just want to clear my name.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Thanks.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She knows everything. I haven't done any illegal drugs. I'm bipolar too, and take bipolar meds, but nothing illegal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Drug Testing
7/22/2016
Drug Testing Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

What type of urine test was positive?

What drug was detected?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a drug test on urine. The pain clinic drug tests to see if the client has done illegal drugs and to make sure we are taking the pain meds we arw prescribed and not selling them. I calling today to find out the name of the lab and the exact test that was done. I don't have specifics. They said cocaine but I swear I didn't do cocaine. I was on vacation in Punta Cana and my husband & I were both sick so we bought and took the over the counter amoxicillin and I'm wondering if that could be the cause of the false positive. So I need to find a hair test that can determine amoxicillin from the byproducts of cocaine if that is possible. The only other explanation would be that someone spiked a drink while I as there. I drank the frozen to ls ans
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The frozen drinks but didn't do any street drugs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want a membership. I just want help with this one problem.

The issue is what type of drug test was done on the urine.

If the test was a screening drug test, which is typically a type of immunoassay test, then it is possible that a variety of substances may cause a false positive. There also are a number of people that can have a false positive and no specific cause can be identified.

However, if the test was a confirmatory test, such as a GC/MS test, there is no substance that would cause a false positive, and that would include that amoxicillin would not cause a false positive.

If you have a copy of the report of the urine drug test and can attach the report, I can help to determine which type of urine drug test was done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'm going to get more info today. I am calling to get the name of the testing company and a copy of the results. I can't believe this is happening. I'm so upset. If I had done it i could deal with the consequences, but I didn't. It's the worst feeling.

If you can reply again once you get the information, then I will be glad to complete the conversation at that time. I will need to step away from the computer for part of the day starting in a few hours, but will certainly be back this afternoon.

If you simply do not respond now, then it thread will remain open until you have the information.

I have heard back about the type of test that was done.

Typically, the proof that the screening urine test was a false positive is a confirmatory urine test that was negative, which is why knowing the types of urine drug test that was done is critical.

Performing a hair drug test at this point would not prove that the urine test was a false positive. Although hair drug testing will look at drug use over the previous 90 days, the hair drug test will frequently miss single uses of a drug. So, a test for cocaine that is negative does not prove that a positive urine test was false, because the urine drug test could easily detect a single use of a drug, if the urine test is done within a few days of that single use.

Testing for amoxicillin can be done, but also does not prove that the urine test was false. The reports of amoxicillin causing false positive results are based on isolated case reports, which does not prove that the amoxicillin is the cause of the false positive because it could be a coincidence. Studies done on groups of patients did not show that it is a cause of a false positive result, but the studies have been done on a small number of patients, so does not prove that it never can cause a false positive, only that it is not a common cause of a false positive.

This is why it is critical to determine the exact type of urine drug test that was done. If you are unable to get a timely response over the phone, then you may be able to get a faster response by going to the office.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor