Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

I was in a jeep for two hours and the exhaust was pretty bad will I have a positive etg...

I was in a jeep...
I was in a jeep for two hours and the exhaust was pretty bad will I have a positive etg
6/12/2016
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

The exhaust from an engine will typically not cause a positive EtG test. The only real issue with cars and gas would be the gasolines that contain alcohol, or gasohol. Breathing the fumes of gasohol could expose you to sufficient alcohol to cause a positive EtG test, and that likelihood would increase for more prolonged exposures or exposures in enclosed spaces. When the gasohol is burned in the engine, the products of combustion are no longer alcohol, so would not cause a positive EtG test.

If you only use standard gas in the Jeep, then there is not even the issue of fumes from gasohol. If you do use gasohol and you were in a situation in which you were breathing the fumes of the gasohol, not the exhaust, then it could cause a positive EtG.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is gasohol

It is a gasoline that contains alcohol, typically only up to 10% alcohol. At the gas station, the pump would have a label that specifies whether there is alcohol in the gasoline.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the exhaust is what I was breathing I didn't pump the gas it was while driving so I should be okay

Yes, you should be OK if the only exposure was to the exhaust.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor