Dr SH
Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've had 17 previous drug test, one every month for my job.

Customer Question

I've had 17 previous drug test, one every month for my job. Besides I dont use drugs of any kind, prescription or street. I got random testing done last Wed. and they said it came back borderline positive for codeine/cocaine. If had done these things...well great, however, as I stated I don't. I'm so distraught over the loss of this job. My friend asked me today if there was anyway anyone could have put something in my drink at work. I said no, when I get there I drink a cup of coffee then I drink peppermint tea all day. She exclaimed...ALL DAY? I said yes. How much? 6-8 cups..(I work 12+ hour shift) Then she asked for how long, I figure bout 3 weeks now when a co-worker turned me on to it. I love the stuff. She said it was something to look into. So my question is, Could drinking that much Peppermint tea cause something like this? Funny when they called me about the test results, they were asking me if I had a cold, any sinus problems or nasal surgery, colonoscopy, digestive problems....no, no, no. But yet I read that peppermint is used to treat these things or in conjunction with treatment. Is it possible to have this borderline effect from it? Thank you in advance. Sincerely, ***** ***** peace of mind in a weird situation
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Did they confirm the test result on GC/MS?

if not, you should request a confirmation with GC/MS.

The routine screening tests can cause a false positive result but not GC/MS which is the gold-standard test.

You should challenge the test result if it was not done on GC/MS.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.
Kindest regards