Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

Drinking ten Bud Light beers with 4% alcohol over a 3-4 hour

Customer Question
period on Friday night with...
Drinking ten Bud Light beers with 4% alcohol over a 3-4 hour period on Friday night with last drink at 10pm and having to do an ETG test on Monday at 2pm. what is the likely hood that the test will be passed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Drug Testing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the first time that this person has drank since Feb. 12th and has passed all other UA tests that are testing for ETG.
4/12/2016
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Salama

The ETG test typically detects alcohol in the urine if it was consumed in the past 80 hours. Given that 80 hours will not have passed, it is likely that the test will fail.

Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even though the person had not drank in two months and drank that one night and the test was 3 days later?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are being told that the 80 hours is for heavy drinkers and those that drink on a consistent basis...have even read research about this
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, unfortunately that's how the test works. It only cares about the past 80 hours and everything prior to that is largely irrelevant.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive just seen various answers on this website so am more confused than I was
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

I am happy to look at any research you've come across to help you reach an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't remember the website but it was through Oxford University. It would be the first positive and we are just worried that there will be negative consequences
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Please send me that website if you can find it since you are worried about the potential consequences.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have also read that the 80 hours is for heavy drinkers. What is the definition of a heavy drinker. the website is alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/4/317
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

This is what I have found from Oxford..."Our results are actually very consistent with what is published in the scientific literature, which shows that the ‘80 h EtG test’ only applies to very large drinking episodes."

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/4/317

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is considered a very large episode
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

That would be dependent on the person's body weight as it's calculated as the g of alcohol/kg of body weight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
someone that weighs 200#, muscular, doesn't sit around. i think we have googled to much and are now going crazy
Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

How many oz was each beer?

Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

If each beer was 12oz, thats 14g of ethanol each x 10 = 140g of ethanol. 200#/2.2 = 90.9kg. 140g/90.9 = 1.54g/kg of ethanol. based on Table 2 at http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/4/317, that would make him just about double the "high" dosing group.

Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Are there any other questions you have for me?

Drug Testing Expert: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

The best over the counter medication for eczema is Hydrocortisone 1% twice a day for itching. I would also advise using Dove unscented soap in the shower and moisturizing twice daily with Eucerin, Aveeno or Lubriderm. In case of sun exposure make sure to use SPF 50 sun block every 80-90 minutes.

Michael Salama
Michael Salama
Michael Salama