Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Could carbamide peroxide for teeth whitening or propylene

Customer Question

could carbamide peroxide for teeth whitening or propylene glycol 50% used in vapor cigarettes cause traces of alcohol in a UA?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I went for a UA on probation. The test came back as a MINOR dilute with traces of alcohol. The only thing ive done differently is stop smoking regular cigarettes and use a vapor cigarette with 50% propylene glycol vapor juice. Also, I have whitened my teeth with a product containing carbamide peroxide.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Drug Testing Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I can find no studies that show that propylene glycol or carbamide peroxide will cause a positive test for alcohol or the primary metabolite of alcohol, EtG.

There are mouthwashes that contain alcohol that is sufficient to cause a positive urine test. Have you been using a mouthwash recently?

I had asked about mouthwashes and have not heard back. Many mouthwashes contain alcohol, so are a commonly used product that may cause a mild positive test for alcohol or it primary metabolite, EtG. In addition, many of my patients that are trying to quit smoking also have recently become more aggressive in mouth hygiene, so are more likely to be using mouthwashes.

If you have been using mouthwash, then you can check the ingredients to see if it contains alcohol.