Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

My name is ***** ***** Graves. I was diagnosed with ADHD

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Graves. I was diagnosed with ADHD Combined type, first by the Hallowell Centre is n Sudbury Massachusetts in July 2011, and again in a Adult ADHD Program at Foothills medical centre in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in 2014, I just got a a job with a consulting firm in California and am required to take a drug test before starting work, I have worked in HR as an executive for many years and do not want to disclose that I have ADHD, how long before I take the drug test do I need to stop taking concerta?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am 60 and very healthy
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Drug Testing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: It's not surprising that there's a wait today, I can go to my doctor after the holiday, but start work on Jan 4 and need to take drug test before December 29, I will pay if I'm satisfied with the answer
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question:

Concerta (methylphenidate) is generally NOT detected by employment drug testing. While this medication has actions similar to amphetamine, it is chemically different and will NOT be detected by the amphetamine drug test (or other medication classes) in the standard drug tests. There are specific tests that could be done to detect this medication, however they are generally NOT included in employment drug tests.

State and federal drug testing laws would prohibit an employer from denying employment based on the legal prescription use of this medication. The drug test would be reported first to a medical review officer (MRO), a physician with specialized training in drug testing. If any medications/drugs are identified, the MRO then contacts the donor to determine if there is a valid medical explanation (legal prescription). If the legal prescription is confirmed by the MRO, the test is then reported to the employer as NEGATIVE.

You do not need to worry about this drug test.