DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified internal medicine doctor years of experience addiction and all other medical problems
24257177

I had 3 mixed drinks and 4 beers between 12pm and 3am

Customer Question

I had 3 mixed drinks and 4 beers between 12pm and 3am Saturday and Sunday morning . Ate a big meal 2 hours before drinking . Had a etg test at 1:30pm Monday. About 37 hours after my first drink and 33 hours after my last. Drank a lot of water Monday morning and peed 5 times before testing. I'm 6foot2 200 pound male 36 years old. Will I pass ? Thanks.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

It is not likely that you will pass.

Studies show the ETG accurate from 25 to 50 hours , on average.

So, while there is some chance you will pass, it is not good odds at this point.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. Even if I diluted my urine 6 hours up to pee test? About 12 cups of water . Also I peed about 4-5 times before testing and it was pretty clear. The cut off for positive test is 250nl
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

A dilute urine will not affect it.

It will indicate, however, that you diluted your urine.

There is still a good chance that it will be positive.

The ETG is not affected by a dilute urine to any large degree.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on probation in Orange County California. On the paper work it said that it was an ehtol test but than I also saw etg. I heard sometimes they will do ethol and than if they see something go etg. Is this correct ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter That I told them I drank a bunch of NyQuil 8 hours previously ? Could I use that as an excuse for a positive on etg?
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

I can not say what their protocol is...that is NOT public information.

They will not by the nyquil excuse.

In addition, it does not have alcohol

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/image.cfm%3Farchiveid%3D38575%26type%3Dimg%26name%3Dnyquil-01.jpg&imgrefurl=https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid%3D38575&h=423&w=1043&tbnid=1LoHvA4XFwzLHM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=183&usg=__BlIO2wb4Uq8dFacO6_3j6SEDqC0=&docid=RyMR3EeNCDIYQM&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAGoVChMIo5mK9uz0yAIVAT0-Ch2HOgqf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like I am screwed. What would cause a positive other than drinking ? what are the % chance I come in at 250 or lower ? No drinks in the last 33-34 hours before testing. Thanks for your response. Really appreciate it and great insight .
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

ETG is specific.

No false positives.

As I said, you have some chance it will test negative, as some studies only showed detection up to 25 hours.

The exact percentage that you will come in lower is not known.

I would say you are at about 50/50.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason I asked about NyQuil is because probation officer Asked me specifically when the last time I had cough medicine or NyQuil I said I had a bunch cause I was sick the previous night. He seemed to be under impression it would affect the test that's why I was confused. Doesn't flushing your system get rid of it? Read a study on Oxford that showed no positive test results for healthy males beyond 26 hours even with up to 6 drinks. Trying to be optimistic but a little freaked out. Only time I have drank in last 5 months.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

It does not affect ETG

The majority of studies are going to be less than the 50 hours that some studies showed.

So, I think you do have some positive things on your side.

Please click a positive rating on this answer page.

Come back if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter that I haven't had a drink in the past 5 months other than that 5 hour window period I had 7-8 drinks ending at 3:30am Sunday morning and testing 1:30pm Monday afternoon. Giving me 33 hours after last drink. Final question. You have been a great help thank you .
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

No, that is not a factor.

I would keep a positive attitude.

One of the criticisms of the ETG is its sensitivity.

It reacts, within the time frame, to any alcohol from any source.

So, it is not the end all argument for alcohol use, does not say how much was used, from where etc.

Good luck.

Let me know how you do.

Please, a positive, we are only paid per positive rating, for bonuses and offer more offers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will keep you posted . I don't go in to see probation officer for 2 weeks. Any cough medicine that does have alcohol that could cause positive ? Great answers will give great rating . Thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

No cough medicines that I know if now days.

Good luck.

Let me know how it goes.

I do not see a rating at this point.

Please do not forget that.......I am not paid for my time with you at this point.

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Are you having difficulties with the system?

You need to click a rating on the answer page, the scale is at the top.