Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am an RN who does not abuse drugs. The clonopin count was

Customer Question

I am an RN who does not abuse drugs. The clonopin count was off in the medication dispenser. I have prescription clonopin and they had me drug tested. I also recently fractured my L1 disc and was prescribed hydrocodone. I have legit prescriptions for both of them. I took an herbal cleanse right before the test and followed the instructions exactly. After the test I purchased a first check from CVS and everything tested negative. I just wondered if A-since I have a prescription for these medications will I be in trouble if tested positive? B-how reliable is this at home drug kit
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is someone going to reply to my question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay, but no expert responded in the original category.
Let me give the direct answer to your question and then explain in more detail.
A. Since you have a legal prescription, finding the drug on urine drug testing would not be an issue.
B. The over the counter drug tests are fairly accurate, but any screening drug test is not good at detecting Klonopin or hydrocodone.
The screening drug tests use an immunoassay method, and that is true for the OTC and the lab versions. The test for benzodiazepines is oriented towards oxazepam/Serax and the various drugs that are metabolized into oxazepam, including diazepam/Valium, chlordiazepoxide/Librium, chlorazepate/Tranxene, and temazepam/Restoril. However, it is not good at detecting the benzodiazepines that are not metabolized into oxazepam, such as Klonopin.
Similarly, the test for opiates is oriented towards morphine, and the drugs that are metabolized into morphine, such as codeine and heroin. However, it is not good at detecting hydrocodone or oxycodone.
Since the generic immunoassays are not good at detecting these drugs, detection of these drugs would require either a specific immunoassay or a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS, that can identify all types of benzodiazepines and opiates. The most common method would be to order a confirmatory test.
So, if they perform a standard screening urine drug test for benzodiazepines or opiates, it will likely also be negative, just like the OTC test. But if they perform a specific immunoassay or a confirmatory test, then the prescribed medicines will likely be detected. But even if they do the test that will detect the Klonopin and hydrocodone, the fact that you have a prescription would justify the positive test.
Of course, a justification for a positive test would not relieve any suspicion for the missing Klonopin. There are many cases of nurses on a controlled substance that also have diverted additional pills for personal use. But they will not be able to prove diversion and personal use based on a urine drug test.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I get fired? They never asked me if I took this medication. I told them I had made an error retrieving this medicine, thought I had resolved it so it wouldn't be necessary to tell the charge nurse. What is going to happen to me? I am so horribly worried
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please give me an answer
They will not fire you for a positive test. At some point in the process, they will discuss what medicines you are prescribed, usually after the results return since they did not ask you in advance. You will need to demonstrate a legal prescription.
They will need to perform further investigation beyond the urine testing to decide whether the take any action against you. It would depend upon other factors, such as how many nurses had access to the supply during this time and whether any of these other nurses had positive tests.
This question has appeared appeared on the list of pending questions, but I do not see any further follow-up questions.
If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.