Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 45-year old female. 5'6", 210#. I am on probation &

Customer Question

I am a 45-year old female. 5'6", 210#. I am on probation & have to take UA's. I was not a heavy smoker, usually at night for pain (due to an auto accident) and have not smoked for 90 days. I still test positive for THC after all this time. I take Ibuprofen for pain now. My PO calls me a "liar" because I test positive and wants me to admit that I use - I don't. What could cause my text to still read positive. I also have lost weight (aprx.40#) in the last 3 months. Is there ANYTHING that I can do to prove that I AM NOT USING?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The ibuprofen can cause a false positive screening urine drug test for marijuana, typically an immunoassay test. So, if the only test that has been done is a screening urine drug test, this could be the explanation. The proof would be in performing a confirmatory urine drug test, such as a GC/MS, or gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
If a confirmatory drug test has already been done and is still positive, then it cannot be due to the ibuprofen. The confirmatory tests are considered the gold standard and about the only reason for a false result would be lab error. The only way you may be able to prove lab error would be to seek testing through a different lab.
If you are still testing positive on a confirmatory test, the other issue that you need to consider would be whether someone may be giving you marijuana without your knowledge. But even if you find this to be true, the next step would be to stop it, as your probation officer will usually only be impressed by ongoing negative results.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.