Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

Drug Testing

I am being sent for a random 45304N dot drug panel w/ts

testing but am concerned because...
I am being sent for a random 45304N dot drug panel w/ts testing but am concerned because I was given some Kush herbal incense and don't know if that will show up for a DOT-FAA Random testing.... Can you please explain
1/17/2013
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
The current DOT testing program does not include testing for the synthetic cannabinoids such as JWH-018.

These synthetic cannabinoids are currenly illegal, so they are manufactured and sold by less than reputable individuals. There is no quality control or assurance that the ingredients may not contain some drug that is included in the DOT drug testing programs such as PCP, amphetamines/methamphetamine/MDMA, opiates (codeine, morphine or heroin) or marijuana (THC).

Unless the drug includes THC or other drugs as mentioned above, the synthetic drugs would not be identified in the DOT testing program.

I work for the Aviation Department for an Airline and am trying to figure out what these exactly is the drug panel testing for under the one I mentioned. Additionally, is there a place that I am able to run a test of the sort myself and/or records to verify prior to having it done?

The DOT tests are ALL the same (by federal regulation). They do not currently include testing for the synthetic cannabinoids.

The detection period for isolated use of marijuana are in the 3-5 day range. The cannabinoid tests that are available have similar periods of detection - but again, these are not included in the DOT/FAA testing program.
Here is the DOT regulation on the specific tests that must be done (and no other tests can be done as part of a DOT specimen)
http://www.dot.gov/odapc/part40/40_85

Is there any place I can either buy a test to do on my own under the dot regulations and/or go to in Houston area?

There are home tests that you can purchase at any pharmacy, however they use immunoassay technology that can give false positives. In my experience, people end up causing more stress and anxiety than anything with many of these tests.

How long ago did you use this drug?

When are you going to have a DOT test?

I am not a smoker but my friend came over and smoked it and I took three or four puffs.....only.....I toook it on Thursday Jan 10 around 10pm and I will have the test on Monday

Is Kush than considered a drug?

There is really NOTHING to worry about. This is over 10 days from the use; this is beyond the detection period for marijuana or any of the other drugs included in the DOT testing program.

Your test will be negative. I would honestly not waste another minute of your life worrying about this test.

Thank you so very much I have been so concerned and obviously will not even dare to touch it again.....One last thing....if I don't smoke it but yet am around the person who does and he smokes it near me...will inhaling it be an issue too?

There are several published studies that do demonstrate low level positive drug urine and blood drug tests after passive exposure to HIGH levels of marijuana smoke. This is one of those studies:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3017628

In this case, individuals who spent time in a small unventilated room in which 16 joints were smoked were found to have low levels of marijuana for short periods of time.

HOWEVER, this type of exposure is not really realistic. Multiple studies have been conducted with more realistic levels of exposure and they have NOT found positives with a more typical "passive" exposure above the threshold used in your test. This is the most recent of those studies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20465865

I would NOT worry about any passive smoke exposure to the synthetic cannabinoids since these drugs are not included in the DOT testing program. Even if this was passive marijuana smoke exposure - this would not be a problem.

How long will test results take......do you know for a random testing result?

and Thank you so very much for making feel comfortable and not overly worried about this test..I learned my lesson just hope nothing different comes about the test....

Typically the test results are available within 5-7 days. There is some variation; time to transport to the lab, testing time, clerical delivery of the results to the MRO, and then time for the MRO to review and report to the employer.

Relax...don't worry. Your test WILL be negative.

Thank you so very much I will relax now....You have been superb!!!!

I'm glad I could help
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO