Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

What is the blue dye put in the toilet during drug screening?

Customer Question
I recently took a drug...
I recently took a drug screening and I peed in the toilet which was filled with blue dye. I need to know specifically what the Blue dye in the toilet means and what it is used for. For example, is the blue dye with my pee in it tested or is just there to stop from diluting the sample.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Drug Testing
12/16/2012
Drug Testing Expert: Family Physician, Board Certified MRO replied 5 years ago
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Thank you for your question:

The blue dye is standard (and required by federal regulation in DOT and federal employee testing) protocol for urine drug screen collection. Thisis used to prevent the donor from diluting the specimen with water.
I need more detail please. Specifically, if i peed in the toilet with the blue dye is that tested against the urine sample which goes in the cup to determine if someone elese's urine is used and not the donors. Thank you very much.
No - the specimen that is tested is NO compared with the contents of the toilet.
Are you 100% positive sir/mam? I took a drug test yesterday and obviously used someone elses urine in order to pass a standard pre-employment drug screen. I filled the cup with the clean urine and then I urinated in the toilet unkowing what the blue dye and the instructions to not flush the toilet meant. I need to know for sure that they do not compare these to identify someone eles's urine was used. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I am 100% positive - water from the toilet would NEVER be used for drug testing since the urine would be so dilute as to make detection of drugs nearly impossible, there would be no way to refute claims that the water was contaminated.
Okay. I accept this and pray to god you are right. I read an online post that the dye turns green and they use it to make sure someone elses urine isn't being used.

I'm obviously paniced.
Unfortunately, there is much misinformation on the internet. There is no scientific basis for such a claim.

Thank you sir.

You're welcome. Good luck
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO