Drug Testing

Have drug testing questions? Get answers from Experts

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is not a regular marijuana smoker, however

approximately one six weeks ago...
my husband is not a regular marijuana smoker, however approximately one six weeks ago he did try a marijuana cigarette to see if it would help with the symptoms of his chrons and IBS. from that time on he has been testing positive for marijuana use to varying degrees. low to high, higher. we read that the medications he takes can cause this test to be positive. his meds are nexium, odansetron, hydrocodone, chlordiazepoxide, dicyclomine, ciprofloxacn, hyoscyamine. do you have any information about this problem?
2/28/2012
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Hello
Marijuana can stay in the urine up to a month in some cases
Usually not with one use.
In hair 2 to 3 months.

False positives on testing would be remedied by sending a sample to GC/MS confirmatory testing..this would identify marijuana.
Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

If confirmatory testing is done...which is is generally, there is no argument that any of the other meds are causing a false positive.
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
The medications that you list could potentially cause false positive screening drug test using immunoassay technology.

The fact that your test was reported with actual levels (ng/ml) is strong evidence that the test was confirmed with GC/MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry).

With a single use of marijuana, the detection period is much shorter than 6 weeks. With single use - the detection period in urine is in the 3-5 day range. Even with the most sensitive tests, you will NOT get positive tests in urine 6 weeks later.

If this test is in fact confirmed with GC/MS, this suggests that you husband has in fact been continuing to use marijuana, since a single use 6 weeks ago is NOT a scientifically valid explanation for a positive urine test now.
dear dr thomas, thank you for your answer, but this is not the question. the ? is do the specific cause this test to be positive.
do this specific meds cause this test to be positive. i was listening and typing
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
the first three above apply to the given answer
A number of medication can give false positive on immunoassay screening tests (such as home tests, dipsticks or other "instant" tests) - however these medications will NOT cause a false positive if the specimen has been confirmed with GC/MS.

You need to check with the lab to see if the test was confirmed with GC/MS.
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
dear doctors, i will check w/ the lab.
That would be good - if you still have questions after you get that information, please feel free to reply at that time.