Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

how accurate are home drug test

how accurate are home drug test will it pass department of defense standards
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr-Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

First check home drug tests itself claims that more than 99% of the tests are accurate. But that is the company's claim.
As from medical perspective, it is well known that around 6-40% of times, these tests can eaasily give a false negative result. This means that the test would be negative when it should have been positive 40% of time. This is a high rate of innaccuracy and needs to be confirmed by professional tests. The test you underwent at the medical facility would be accurate and you can trust the results of that test.

`This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Other.
answer was very vague could have anywhere
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
I believe the answer provided by the other expert is much too simple and misses some of the important points.

As a medical review officer (MRO), a physician trained and certified in the interpretation of drug tests, I will be happy to answer your question.

Drug tests (including those done by labs) can be "false negative" for a number of reasons including a relatively short detection period. For example, a single use of marijuana would only be detected for about 3 days. Use 3-4 times per week would be detected for 5-7 days. This detection period is further shortened when the urine is more dilute (lots of water intake).

There are also a number of cause for "false positives" on the technology used in home tests (and many tests used in physician offices and initial screening). To confirm a positive screening test, you need to have GC/MS confirmation performed by a licensed laboratory.

If you have additional questions - please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i do not for a fact that i used marijuana i was intoxicated at the time the person who i would got it form told me it was not the case i however being in the military am concerned either way should i worry about the this if i it was marijuana it would have been half a cigarette 5 days ago
I'm not sure I understand your follow up question:

You used marijuana about 5 days, and you are being tested?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i think i may have been subject to the use of marijuana but i am not definite on that at this time if i was it would have been half a ciggarette of it and it would have been five days ago i have since taken 5 home tests and came back negative and also went to an urgent care facility to have my urine checked with a 10 panel drug test and came back negative for all substances tested i am looking for piece of mind that they are accurate
The detection period for a single use of marijuana is typically 3 days or less. Since you are now already beyond this time frame, your drug test would be expected to be negative.

I would not worry at this point!
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience: Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation