TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I keep dreaming of my dead ex husband. He killed himself

Customer Question

I keep dreaming of my dead ex husband. He killed himself after the divorce, and I've dealt with guilt about that for a long time, but have just done my best to not let myself dig too deep into myself about it. I fear falling into a deep soon, and u simply don't have time for that. I'm in a fairly new relationship, and since I've started dating this man, I've dreamt of my ex repeatedly. Some are hard to remember but I know he was in my dreams. One was that we got back together and I was so happy about it in my dream. But upon waking it freely so real. And I know I couldn't get back with him in real life if he were alive. It's so confusing. Last night my boyfriend was sleeping with me and he rolled over and put his hand on my hip, and it somehow became part of my dream and I got scared and woke myself up with a little yelp. I also dreamt my current boyfriend was holding a gun to my head. I'm not sure what to think about all of this but I get worried that he is trying to tell me something but I'm not catching it. Am I losing it? I feel like I am.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 2 months ago.
Now that you are in a new relationship it seems that some of the guilt that you have felt in the past is just coming to the surface again. I know how hard it is to separate yourself from your ex's act and him killing himself and that was a choice that he made sadly and unfortunately for him and for all others around him that cared for him. You have been very clear that the marriage was over and I believe as you get deeper involved and more connected with your current relationship those feelings of guilt are playing themselves out through the dreams. If you can understand this and let go of that guilt and allow yourself to be content in your current relationship I do believe the dreams can get a little better for you. I think the gun being held to your head is almost as if you feel like you need to make a choice between this new relationship and still staying mournful for the loss of your ex husband. But you are allowed to move forward and you are allowed to be happy in this life and in this relationship with this man.
Can I support you further?