Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, PhD
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a psychologist in private practice and have been teaching and working with adults and teens for almost 20 years.
50444359

I had a dream of a very sad dog, then I saw two dogs holding

Customer Question

I had a dream of a very sad dog, then I saw two dogs holding on to a tall pole. People were looking up at them. I ran to try and get them down but I woke up. I don't normally remember dreams but this one hit a core
JA: Oh I love this topic. Did you know I used to be a dream interpretation expert? Yes, but now I have to hand you off to one of the new and better trained ones. You will undoubtedly enjoy this. Is there anything else the Dream Analyst should be aware of?
Customer: I have been thinking of quitting my job and moving to another state. I want to start my own business there and my spouse lives there
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Mark; I'll be glad to help with interpreting these dreams.

First, though, let me extend to you my condolences on your son's death. It sounds so tragic and I can only imagine how difficult it has been for you. Your dreams bear witness to this. Let me explain.

Dreams are not "objective" experiences, meaning they are not events that happen "to" the person and so can be interpreted based on objective criteria that apply to all. For example, when you go to get in your car and it won't start, we treat that as an objective experience wherein you have your car towed to the garage. It could have been your car, my car, or any car, the same interpretation would be given to each one of us were we to experience the event of our car not starting. Get it fixed.

Dreams, however, are not like that. They have a symbiotic relationship with the person, the person's life experiences, the person's personality, and many other factors. Therefore, the way we work with dreams in psychotherapy will be determined not just by the set of visual memories you have of the dreams but by many parts of what must be taken into account that I mentioned.

Your dream seems very close to your conscious experience and is a rather direct messages between your subconscious self and your conscious self. I am impressed that you have seemed to identify rather clearly the subject of your dream: your conflict about quitting your job and moving to where your spouse is and starting your own business. Let me, though, fill in the emotional and symbolic details for you.

In their emotional content and thus dream symbolism, dogs refer to certain instincts we have: usually they are loyal love, protection, self-defense. The dream started out with one dog; that dog was sad. This is the emotion, when joined with the symbol of a "dog" refers to missing the object of loyal love. Remember, sad is not an aggressive action type feeling; rather, it is an emotion of lack and missing of something or someone. Clearly the emotion of the "sad dog", then, is of not being where it would be happy, which we would state for you would be with your spouse in the other state.

The dream then makes an interesting shift: there are now 2 dogs. But let's first focus on the setting: they are holding on to a tall pole. Again, remembering the emotional symbolism of dreams, a pole represents two separate things. First, it represents reliability and security: a pole is firmly planted in one place and doesn't move, it is steady and secure. But secondly, someone places a pole in its secure and reliable position, it doesn't just plant itself there. And so a pole also refers to action taken by someone being reliable and secure.

Something about the pole, though, scares you in the dream: you want the 2 dogs to be safe. So, you are not convinced in the security and are not ready to rely on certain actions. This would seem congruous with possible fear of starting your own business and quitting your job. People are looking up at them and this is not reassuring to you in your dream. So there may be an element of concern about people's opinions of you possibly quitting your job and moving to start a business, there may be opposition your are concerned about subconsciously.

Now we conclude with the 2 dogs. They are, we would say using your own intuition, you and your spouse. But it could also be you and your own desire to quit your job and move to start your business. I would suggest that this may be more the communication. Remember, symbols in dream can refer to plans, thoughts, feelings, etc. as well as people and objects. So I would encourage you to think of the first part of the dream as the sadness referring to your spouse and the second part as referring to your uncertainty about you and your possible plans.

I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 months ago.

Hi. I'm checking in to see if the reply was helpful or if you need more follow up. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on whether you thought my response was helpful or if we need to continue with further discussion. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen,then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5(Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done)button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer.

Thanks,

Dr. Mark

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Mark. I would be very grateful if you could give a positive rating to my answer. Thanks so much.