CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
92608932

I'm a bit shaken up about a dream I just had about a mass

Customer Question

Hi there,
I'm a bit shaken up about a dream I just had about a mass shooting spree. It took place in a town I didn't recognize. I managed to get away whenever we heard the gunshots until toward the end when my family and I were surprised by and confronted with shooters in a room. We were armed and able to poison, shoot, or stab the killers to death - but it was terrifying. I then remember my brother and I running through unfamiliar houses and onto the roof to escape, only to be shot at while hanging from the gutters. When we finally dropped down and stumbled away, I remember being in a grocery store with my dad buying a cooked chicken (I'm a vegetarian), that I then dropped from my arms and onto the floor. I picked it up and brought it to an RV that my family was in. Then the alarm went off to signal another mass shooting, but we decided it wasn't a shooting and it was a fire alarm. So we ran to a house with a bunch of rooms and i just remember trying to gather all of my belongings with a young girl and being worried that I wouldn't be able to take my dads belongings too. I'm pretty weirded out by this today. Can you offer some insight?
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Jules, a LPC,I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your thorough reply briefly :)

I see that you have been waiting for quite a while already for a response, and I apologize for the delay. I want to be thorough, so please be patient with me. If there is any additional information related to your personal, waking life, that you feel may be pertinent, please feel free to share :)

I feel that an important part of me providing an explanation for you involves me describing a bit of the theory that I use to interpret dreams.I tend to rely on symbolism of the dreams and focus on what your personal emotional response is to the dreams. i rely on a Jungian perspective for the significance. "According to Jung, dreams are a way of communicating and acquainting yourself with the unconscious. Dreams are not attempts to conceal your true feelings from the waking mind, but rather they are a window to your unconscious. They serve to guide the waking self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to a problem you are facing in your waking life." (resource:http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamtheory/jung.htm) "Some researchers believe that dreams help you to tackle stress. Dreaming is a necessity and helps to recharge the mind and revitalize the body. In dreams, negative emotions tend to occur twice as often as pleasant feelings. Fear and anxiety are the most commonly expressed emotions in dreams, followed by anger and sadness." Jung also believed that you can interpret your own dreams by focusing on the emotional response and looking for correlations. It is also believed that you can interpret your own dreams with the correct tools. I do encourage you to look at purchasing a dream dictionary. I have several at home, but there are also great internet resources. One thing to consider about your dreams, is that they often occur more vividly or frequently while you are processing a change or transition. We will look at your symbolism and then determine how it fits best for you. You will know how it is applicable, but i hope that I can provide you with the symbolism and you can look for the themes that fit your personal situation. I also want to point out to you an aspect of Jungian theory tghat addresses archetypes. Specifically, the persona and the shadow. A good description of these is found on one of my favorite sites, dreammoods.com.

"The Persona is the image you present to the world in your waking life. It is your public mask. In the dream world, the persona is represented by the Self. The Self may or may not resemble you physically or may or may not behave as your would. For example, the persona can appear as a scarecrow or a beggar in your dream. However, you still know that this "person" in your dream is you.

The Shadow is the rejected and repressed aspects of yourself. It is the part of yourself that you do not want the world to see because it is ugly or unappealing. It symbolizes weakness, fear, or anger. In dreams, this figure is represented by a stalker, murderer, a bully, or pursuer. It can be a frightening figure or even a close friend or relative. Their appearance often makes you angry or leaves you scared. They force you to confront things that you don't want to see or hear. You must learn to accept the shadow aspect of yourself for its messages are often for your own good, even though it may not be immediately apparent."

So, taking all of this into consideration, let's review the symbolism and find some significance for you.... First, understanding that these dreams may be occurring during a time of transition for you may be important. Recognizing that you are experiencing a sense of inner turmoil or insecurity may be perpetuating the subconscious throughts leading to the dreams. You may also have family members that are dealing with health issues and you guys are discussing options for their physical health, but also the emotional well-being of others involved. The shooting in your dream, occurring in an unknown town, may be more related to focusing on a goal or an unknown goal in unknown territory. You may feel that you are rejecting feelings of your own and this leads to frustration and feel that others are against your decisions related to aspects of your life. You may also feel being under "attack" by others, as if they wont understand or agree with your decisions.You may be experiencing some confrontation in your waking life or even feeling victimized in some situation."The act of a mass shooting definitely involves an act of terror, indicating unresolved fears or doubts that need to be addressed or confronted. To be with your brother in the dream, suggests that you do feel that you have support available, it may not specifically be your brother, but a close friend, or someone that you trust. It can also be important to consider if this is symbolic of characteristics or behaviors of your brother that you wish you were able to utilize while dealing with the situation. A brother also has "religious implications and thus represents spiritual issues." Maybe this is about spiritual support that you desire. This leads to the symbolism of the house. The house represents your own "soul and self." It is a place of refuge, but in your dream it is under attack and you are hopeful to protect your family and even your "legacy." Specific rooms in the house indicate a specific aspect of your psyche. In general, the attic represents your intellect, the basement represents the subconscious, etc. If the house is empty, then it indicates feelings of insecurity. If the house is shifting or even under attack, then it suggests that you are going through some personal changes and changing your belief system. You went to the roof top to escape-- another symbolism of spirituality, as you were looking upward or seeking ascension for solace. To go to a grocery or market in your dream represents some emotional of physical need that you are currently lacking in your life. You may be in need of nurturance and some fulfillment. You were given a chicken, which is not the norm for you, so this suggests that you feel you are not able to attain the necessary support.You may be in need of nurturance and some fulfillment. The presence of the motor home suggests that you need to move on with regards ***** ***** aspect of your life. You are dwelling too much on a situation; it is time to move forward. Alternatively, the motor home expresses your desire to be more independent and self-sufficient. I believe that the young girl, is synonymous with your feminine features or qualities of yourself. You are trying to support her, save her, find refuge for her. She is your inner child that needs healing.... maybe it is time to focus on areas of unresolve and open yourself to moving forward.....

Just wanted to check back in with you and ask if your found the dream interpretation to be significant or helpful. I want to provide services that you feel meet your need. Please briefly let me know :) The only way that experts receive credit for an answer provided is if there is a positive rating provided by the customer (3 stars or better) so if you do feel that you were satisfied, please take a moment to click on the rating tab. If you would like more information or additional resources, please let me know! Thank you, Jules