CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
92608932

I had a dream about an coworker I find attractive. Now I'm

Customer Question

HELLO - I'm Kay, and I had a dream about an coworker I find attractive. Now I'm feeling comfortable enough to act on my attraction to him. Is this a good idea?
JA: Dreams are fascinating! Please tell me everything you can so the Dream Analyst can help you best.
Customer: Well...unfortunately I've only had one, and in it we admit to one another that we are madly in love with each other. The only thing physical is hugging and kissing. But it appears that we both are relieved that we have finally revealed that we the deep passion we've been feeling (in my dream)...lots of hugging
JA: Is there anything else the Dream Analyst should be aware of?
Customer: we make a lot of eye contact at work, he catches me watching him when he's not looking and I catch him watching me when I'm not looking. Not a lot of communicating, he's very shy toward me. OH AND HE has a girlfriend
JA: Our top Dream Analyst is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dream Analyst in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dream Analyst until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kay! I will hopefully be able to help you today. First we can talk about dreams in general :)

According to Carl Jung, dreams are a way of communicating and acquainting yourself with the unconscious. Dreams are not attempts to conceal your true feelings from the waking mind, but rather they are a window to your unconscious. They serve to guide the waking self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to a problem you are facing in your waking life.

I think that you are working through your desires in a safe manner in your dream. You pick up on your attraction to him in daily activities but you also know that there are barriers in place. He may engage in flirtatious behaviors with you, but it may be more about how you are responding to that body language, that is coming through in the dream. Maybe it is more about what you "wish" would happen, but there are boundaries in place (girlfriend, work place relationship, etc).

Im curious if you have gone through a recent breakup? Because the symbolism may suggest that you are in need of that closeness with someone. You have had several positive interactions with him, but there is still much left unknown. To dream that someone is hugging you suggests that you need to let down your guard and allow your true feelings to show, but it also means that you need to allow yourself to heal emotionally. This dream may be triggered by some major change in a recent relationship and how far you have come from those past relationships. To dream that you are kissing someone who knowingly has a partner indicates your wish to be in a relationship and to experience the energy of love. Perhaps you are somewhat jealous? You may be sexually acting out and desire to awaken your passion.

Given the circumstances of him having a relationship, I would be leery of acting on my feelings. I would allow some more time to go by before I verbalized anything just yet. Allow a natural progression of events before moving too quickly......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree on waiting for it to happen naturally. My nerves are very bad around him, he is so darn attractive. I don't have a problem waiting on him to make the first move, IF there would be one. I will look for opportunities to offer any friendly conversations.

I understand! It definitely sounds like you are attracted to him, if he gives your butterflies!

I do encourage you to allow the events to unfold slowly. Make interactions fluid and natural. Just make small talk and see where it goes!

I'm sending you a link that discusses the difference in flirting versus friendly interactions. It is candid, but it provides interesting tips....

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2015/09/ask-dr-nerdlove-how-can-i-tell-flirting/

Let me know what you think :)

I hope you will take the time to provide a positive rating and accept the answer!

Best wishes! I know it is hard when someone seems to catch our attention-- it's like being hijacked!

Is there anything else that I can help you with about the issue? Or do you feel that you have been provided a satisfactory answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im ok now. Thank you

You're welcome. I just wanted to make sure you felt satisfied or find out if there was more that I could do to help. :)

However, you are describing a flirtatious relationship, with a few mixed signals. If you address the concerns, do so, outside of work. Keep the relationship at work professional, and keep the romantic relationship, private. There may be a policy about dating in the workplace in your employee handbook!

If you have found this helpful, please don't forget to provide a positive rating! Best wishes!

I was just following back up with you :)

I hope that I was able to help you with your question. Please don't forget to accept the answer and provide a positive rating. It doesn't mean that communication has to cease, but it does let me know that we are going in the right direction.