Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

My dream was that I was on a fast moving train and my baby son had got

Customer Question

My dream was that I was on a fast moving train and my baby son had got out, I looked from the door and realised then quickly tried to get out too so I can chase him safe from danger. I had to pull the train doors really hard. I caught him but there was a few trains and cars passing as we were on station and I was thinking that I need to get back on that train. I then grabed my son in my arms and a comfortable taxi pulled up, I was now on the car road. I got into back seat and I realised the seats were tidy and nice. I told the driver to go in way my train was going.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 2 years ago.
A train is a public transportation that only goes where everybody on it is going--so it's the direction of mass society. It's also going FAST, so there's not much choice but to go along with where the CROWD is going. But your baby son has left the train, so you are immediately moved to leave also in pursuit of him--for there was danger to his young life from the city life going too fast. Your dream ego doesn't want to miss the train, but you just CAN'T keep up that pace of life and keep him safe. You actually had to become STATIONARY, that is stop your habitual pace of (perhaps workaday) life once you held him safe. As a direct result of your action, you are no longer riding on the train with everybody else. but you are also not driving your own car; you are helped and guided by a driver in the taxi. It is a comfortable and more individually paced life, but you have to depend on another person to drive you where you want to go--which is to follow in the direction you were going before.
So now the question is HOW does this dream relate to a change in your everyday life? Into whose drivership are you committing your present life-journey? And what are the costs and benefits of that shift to a taxicab? How is the imagery of the dream SIMILAR to and DIFFERENT from what you are experiencing that is comparable in your waking life? (For dreams don't just show us what we already know, but they point to some aspects of our reality that we would not recognize without the dream's symbolic presentation.)