Dream Interpretation

Need Dreams Interpreted? Ask a Dream Interpreter ASAP

Dream Interpretation

Showing a woman i admire, from a safe cave like place, crashing

Customer Question
waves and watching a speed...
Showing a woman i admire, from a safe cave like place, crashing waves and watching a speed boat pull in on a stormy lake.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dream Interpretation
Answered in 1 day by:
5/28/2015
Dream Interpretation Expert: Dr. Norman Brown, PhD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norman Brown
I can't quite understand the very brief way you wrote up your dream: "Showing a woman I admire"--showing her WHAT? or TO WHOM? or Showing her THAT you admire her? Do you already know this woman? or is she just an admirable woman you don't know? Who is inside the cave-like place, you or her? or both of you? Are you watching crashing waves and the approach of the speed boat? Is the cave at the edge of the stormy lake? Is the lake familiar or unfamiliar? Do you have any sense of people IN the speed boat? Has there been any aspect of your recent life that is in some way "stormy?" Does the speed boat seem to be coming in to a safety like what is present in the care-like place?
Answering these questions will helop me get started with the symbolism
I was showing her the crashing waves. I could only see her back and I felt like I knew her other wise I didn't see her face. We where both in this place. The speed boat was across the lake going along the shore. The cave is looking over the lake but the waves where splashing up high enough to cover the area we where looking out from. The lake didn't feel familiar but more like indifferent would be how I felt towards it. I only saw the boat and didn't feel any people in it. I guess the recent stormy part might be I moved to another state for a job and don't know anyone here at all. The speed boat seemed to ignore the storm as it was moving along the shore.
That helps a lot. It's too late tonight to get very far in reading the symbols in your dream. But the woman who you were standing behind was the feminine side of your own personality (if you are a male) since that is the connection for a man with spirituality, creativity and therefore also creative growth of your whole personality. The Jungian concept for that is "Anima" or soul-woman, which you can find in Wikipedia.
The cave could be a wonderful symbol, since Plato's image of the cave is a profound symbol for what we know and don't know about the reality of our own existence and of those around us. You can look up Plato's Allegory of the Cave on the Internet, and I will write a little about how it may relate to your dream and your new life situation. The important insights to come from your dream are those that could help you understand how to proceed with getting acquainted in your new environment.
In fact, Plato ALSO wrote an allegory about the Anima woman in his book about love, The Symposium, where the soul-mate myth is brought up, and at the end Socrates tells the others that His own teacher and muse is a woman named Diotima.
I will write more some time tomorrow.
I will be waiting.
Here's a little bit more. The safe cave is your way of retreating into yourself (like a turtle) where you don't feel comfortable, and all the people are indifferent to you. The stormy waves are your unquiet emotions reacting to the dislocation from your roots in the place you lived before. A Navy commander learned about moving from a Japanese wiseman after WW II, and I got to read an allegory about it.
When you pull up your roots to make a big change in your life, it's like transplanting a rose bush. You have to cut back on the limbs to protect the plan (that is your own being) against "root shock." For the plant can't support as many limbs when its roots haven't recovered the ability to get nourishment from deep in the earth below. And we humans need our equivalent of that nourishment too. (So perhaps going for walks in the kind of Nature that you feel most comfort with might help you to regan your roots. Or planting something you like in soil which you can care for; or buying yourself a pet, even a small one like a bird.
Cutting back on your rosebush limbs meaning reducing the various outside activities you used to do, but still maintaining a few of them, so you don't lose track of who you thought you were in the other place you lived. But here you will gradually grow new limbs, when you have recovered from root shock. Right now it's like going inward (in your cave), slowing down, a period of lower energy, until you "get your feet wet" which takes us back to your dream imagery.
The admirable woman stands in front of you, because "the eternal feminine" in each man is what "leads us onward" into the spiritual changes in our lives, and links us to our creativity, which is how we incorporate whatever is most new and make it part of our personality. So if you have any creative outlets, reading, writing ,music, fantasy, making things, let your admirable woman/muse inspire you to some creative moments.
The boat that stays close to shore is just not ready to go out into the middle of the rough seas. So you stay close to shore and let your muse advise you on what you want to do to gradually grow into your new life. And notice that she's a person you can ask for advice in a fantasy that you create for yourself, either while relaxing on a couch or as incubating a dream by starting the image of seeing her in the cave as you are drifting off to sleep, and then remembering and writing down your dream.
Tha's all for tonight. There should be a reaction to step back from new life and go inward, the way you're doing. So sweet dreams.
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD