Dream Interpretation

Need Dreams Interpreted? Ask a Dream Interpreter ASAP

Dream Interpretation

I have sexual dreams about my mother in law. They are very

Customer Question
real I get arroused and...
I have sexual dreams about my mother in law. They are very real I get arroused and jump up from sleep sweating like after a horrible nightmare. I have these dreams for a couple of months and don't know how to stop them. Please let me know what they mean. I love my family and have no idea why I am having these dreams. Please Help me understand and read them.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dream Interpretation
10/21/2011
Dream Interpretation Expert: Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist replied 6 years ago
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven effective in interpretation of dreams.

Dear friend,

A dream like this can be very disturbing, especially what it could mean for your marriage and family life. That is what is so scary. It may mean that you are very attracted to what your mother-in-law represents in a metaphorical sense,but most likely it signifies a real erotic attraction to her.

I am sure you will not act on this attraction by the way it frightens you. You will have to let it wear off. Perhaps you may have to be a bit standoffish towards her. She may be unwittingly or unconsciously putting out those vibes to you and you are unconsciously (or consciously) picking up on the. You don't act on them but they are acted out in you unconscious mind when you are dreaming.

As long as the dream is not affecting your day to day life or relationships, then let it pass, and stay out of harm's way.

Best wishes,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Thank u for your response . However it starting to affect my days too. Because I am thinking about it during the day. I am thinking that the dreams will come back so I walk around upset all the time. What do sexual dreams mean in general? And How do I stop them.
Dear friend,

Sexual dreams, in general signify your creativity, desire and your passions. They help you find equilibrium with you secret or unfulfilled physical attractions and longing. You want to fulfill these secret desires. You feel afininty or even love and are making a connection to that person.

Since your dreams are now also waking thoughts and they are causing you some distress, it seems very much like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), which is a form of anxiety..

I hate to characterize it this way. because it seems, basically, that you have a crush, either emotional or sexual, or a total crush on this woman, and perhaps the feeling is mutual.

This has very destructive potential and thus you must avoid her as much as possible and let this feeling pass.

The only other alternative is to see a therapist that deals with (specializes in) anxiety disoders, particularly OCD and let him/her do several sessions of exposure and response prevention therapy.

This is the best adivce for you if you cannot make this pass by yourself.

Best wishes,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Thank you for your advice. I tried a therapist and she was not helpful at all. She told me to approach my mother in law tell her about my dream and ask if she has the same dreams. I did just that today, and she told me that she is very concerned about my mental health and no she does not have the same dreams. I do have a history of panic attacs. I know my mother in law for over 12 years, we have a good friendship. I don't understand why now I started to have these dreams. I do have a lot of pressure and problems at work. Could that have anything to do with my mother in law? Note, we do not work together.
Dear friend,

The "therapist" you went to gave you terrible advice, as if he or she was actually trying to hook you up with your mother-in-law. This therapist put you in a very compromised position by now damaging your relationship with your mother-in-law. This was something that you should never have revealed to her.

You say you have a history of panic attacks, which is ALSO an anxiety issue. It can be related to PTSD, which also has as its symptoms nightmares and flashbacks. This makes me suspect that you were abused as a child, very possibly sexually, and very possibly by an older woman. You might now even recall this event. Revealing the panic attacks puts this into perspective.

I strongly urge you to see a therapist that deals with PTSD (they often work with former or present military troops with PTSD), and you might try one that uses a special technique called EMDR to bring out the past hidden trauma. Sometimes PTSD doesn't emerge until years after the original tramatic event. The other anxiety causing stressors you are facing at work could have been the trigger that set this off.

These aren't simple dreams of fancying your mother-in-law as I first thought before you filled in the details, but most probably Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, for which you must get immediate treatment.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist