One of our chihuahuas died of cushings. The other one layed around and sulked. We adopted another happy chihuahua and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: One of our chihuahuas died of cushings. The other one layed around and sulked. We adopted another young happy chihuahua and she loved him for 3 days. Now she lays behind a chair and mopes worse than ever. We have trippled her cuddle time, take her for walks alone etc. Help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Chihuahua. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Peaches
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peaches?
Customer: She has hereditary hip problems. Her walks are short to try to keep it under control. She takes rimadyl for it.8
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 9 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is*****

I​t sounds like you have done everything right and she is still depressed. I am thinking she may need to be on an antidepressant for a few months. Have you taken her to the vet yet? Your vet could prescribe one.

Customer
No not yet. I have an appointment tuesday. Thank you for the suggestion. I thought that might be the problem. We all miss louie so much. He was special. I didnt think she cared, one way or the other, being a typical self centered little girl dog.

Y​ou are very welcome. It can be devastating to lose a furry family member. She probably also had a routine, with him, for many years, and now that routine is changed. To be honest, she may also have a health issue that may need addressing. Or, she could just be depressed about losing Louie. But I am glad you are having her checked out. If the exam is normal I would definitely have blood work run to check her internal organ function. Then if that is normal, I would try an antidepressant for 3-4 months and see how she does. Then maybe she could be weaned off the antidepressant after that.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.