Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have 3 dogs. The mother, the father and one of their

Customer Question
I have 3 dogs...

I have 3 dogs. The mother, the father and one of their offspring. The mother is 7, the father is 6 and the baby will be 5 in September. Two weeks ago, out of the blue, the baby attacked the father and hurt him pretty good. They have never fought before. They are all spayed and neutered. They avoided each other for a couple days and then they got in a bad fight and both of them got cut up pretty bad. I have to keep them separated now. I don’t know what to do. They have been together for almost 5 years and there has never been a problem. Now they hate each other.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Dog. What is the Dog's name?

There is no lethargy. Their names are ***** ***** Blue.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Training
4/2/2018
Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Ok. Thank you.

Good evening, JACustomer. I am very sorry to hear that you've had a spat between Fraser and Blue. The absolute best thing that you can do is hire a behaviorist to evaluate them in your home. It's imperative in these types of situations that the body language between both dogs be observed. The behaviorist will be able to help you not only overcome the behavior you're seeing but also to be able to predict when a fight might occur. There are tell-tale signs that we often miss before a fight breaks out. If you'd like my help searching for a behaviorist in your area, can you share your city and state?

I live in Williamstown Vermont

Give me just a few minutes here to see what I can locate in your area. One moment.

I have found a few options in your area, though it is not specified now far of a distance they will travel. In some cases, they will want you to bring both dogs for an evaluation, though it's been my experience that in-home evaluations are often more useful. I am also including a link to a veterinary behavioral center to rule out medical issues which can contribute to behavioral changes including tick borne disease, brain lesions and thyroid disorders.

1) http://www.peakveterinaryreferral.com/specialty-services/behavior/
2) https://vermontdogtrainer.com
3) http://www.dogsrockvermont.com
4) The following link goes to a website where you can locate a certified veterinary behaviorist. I was unable to find any in VT, but thought you might be willing to travel and able to consider surrounding states: http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

Please be sure to rate before signing off today so that the website compensates me for helping you. We will still be able to chat back and forth after you rate.

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have regarding their care? ​