Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My guy is almost 6 and neutered. Problem is, i STILL cant…

Customer Question
My guy Richard is almost...
My guy Richard is almost 6 and neutered. Problem is, i STILL cant really take him outside. Hes WAY WAY too spazzy. For instance, god forbid, we're walking down the street and soneone with a dog crosses the street a block ahead, he looses his f**kin mind. Perks his ears up, goes on point and completely forgets about everything else. Ive successfully trained every other dog ive ever had, but he just wont calm down. Every single time he sees another dog or a person its like the first time and he goes completely shit bonkers so far beyond anything normal. What am i supposed to do?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 21 days ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How old was he when you got him?

When he first started to do this what did you do?

What type of training do you do and how often?

What commands does he know and listen to every time you give them no matter where you are?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
9 months when i got him
Always been like this
Tried typical training for like 2+ years then another year
Knows sit, lay down, stay, down, come
Basically forgets everything the second hes overstimulated
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Which only requires the sight or smell of anything lol
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Parks are a total shitshow or any even the slightest social situation with people or animals.

Thank you for that information. Generally when this happens it means we took them into the situation too soon before they fully learned commands.

I would say that he needs to learn the cue leave it and heel a bit better so that when you see another animal you can give these commands.

You are going to have to start over with at least those two cues in a non distracting area then gradually build him up to more distracting areas. Once he knows these two cues 100%, I would also start doing behavior adjustment training and this works best if the person you practice with will listen to what you are instructing them to do.

I would be holding a piece of chicken in front of his face when you start getting to more distracting places so his focus is on your command and the reward of chicken you are giving him.

What is his personality like? Is he often scared of new people? Does he tend to back off from them or does he tend to go right up to them and then act out? What is his body language? Where is the placement of the tail and ears?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No i definitely taught him what he knows prior to any of those scenarios. Hes not scared of people or animals. Best way to explain it is hes aggressively friendly. He just loses his mind at the sight of people or other animals. By that i mean he just runs up and jumps on em and smells em and completely sees or hears NOTHING else at that time. Food, commands etc. Ears perked up, super happy and completely oblivious to anything other than whats at the end of his tunnel vision at that point in time.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hes far from the first dog ive had and ive been wildly successful at training with every single dog ive owned except him.

So at that point, you have to stop him, turn around and move him away from what he wants. As well , again it would be best to have people listen to your instruction, have them begin to approach, the moment he acts out, they turn away from him. He has to learn that attention only works when he is calm.

What type of collar do you use?

This can take many repitions of taking a step and having to turn him or the person helping you needs to turn away from him. The more excited he gets the less attention he gets. YOu don't have to stay anything at this point, just stand there and wait for him to stop , look at you as if to ask , "hey why aren't we moving?" and at that time that he stops, then he is rewarded. This is going to take a while to retrain as he has been doing it one way for a long time and that way worked for him. Now it will stop working.

Do you do clicker training with him ? If not I would start that in a quiet place and gradually build up again to more distracting places. If he cannot handle it in one area,. then you have to go back to the area he was listening to you in.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok like i was saying, it could be someone crossing the street a block down and hes immediately fixated on that and only that. Ive tried the whole stop him get his attention etc thing and it works about as long as it lasts until another person comes by or walks a dog across the street etc. Tried this daily on a regular routine as well as his feeding schedule was routine for YEARS and only got as far as him listening 80% of the time at home.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Clicker?�� Tried it. Means absolutely nothing to him.

So it did work for a brief period if he stopped until the next person came along if I am reading this right..

"I've tried the whole stop him get his attention etc thing and it works about as long as it lasts until another person comes by or walks a dog across the street etc. "

If this is the case you need to keep at it, or start from the begining.

Does he wear a collar or a GL?

So 80 % of the time at home means that it was really not trained to proficiency or was not an expectation when it happened at home and this could have been form others in the family that did not expect him to behave so it did not show consistency in the home.

ON the one hand you are telling me you trained him daily for this and it did not work , and on the other hand you are telling me you only trained until it worked at 80%.So where was the breakdown?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Yeah if you read what im telling you, thats EXACTLY what i said. I spent years on the same daily routine with him and like I said, hes 80 or 90% fine at home or if nobodys around but the second we're not alone everythings out the window.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Also if you noticed, Ive had pitbulls and large dominant breeds for almost 40 years and this is the first and only time im struggling with this.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there such thing as doggy ADD or something simular?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ADHD?

Yes I noticed this. It too have had giant breed dogs all my life. Every dog is different and every dog reacts differently to training and different training methods.

Dogs can have some wire crossings which make them more hyper than other dogs. But unfortunately when there is strong medications involved to try and calm the behavior , dogs can become aggressive.

You can try some over the counter melatonin or you can try a calming collar to see if that helps.

I would also try a gentle leader so you can control the head. Where the head goes the body must follow.

I think that we are not on the same path here. Somewhere along the line what the dog is doing has worked for him without consequence of removal of him or the desired object. Dogs will only do what works for them, when something stops working they start to learn a new way.

Do you have any videos you can upload of his actions and what you are doing to handle it? Maybe that would be helpful.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Melatonin? Thats an interesting idea. My vet was gonna perscribe xanax for him a few.years ago, but i wasnt sure how i felt about getting him on that kinda med. I was hoping if i kept working with him and as he got older maybe it would work itself out. Clearly it didnt. So im looking for alternative methods, hence us speaking. Buuuuut im a little bit more open to possibly trying xanex or melatonin at this point.

I would give melatonin a try. this will take about a week to two weeks of giving in the AM and PM. Likely dose for his size would be a 3 Mg , check the link I sent you to be sure.

I have had a lot of people put dogs on prescribed meds and the dog became worse or aggressive. If the melatonin does not work for you, then see your Vet again regarding xanax, just know the side effects:)

I would also try the calming collars as it may be just that he gets so anxious.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Yeah hes almost 6 and 85lbs
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Im gonna look into the calming collars for sure. I dont have any videos, but I could EASILY record one.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Also, like i was saying. Theres not an aggressive bone in his body. His ENTIRE lifes goal is to sit on as many peoples laps as possible for as long as possible lol

It sounds like one of my newfs. Just wants to get inside the person to get as much loving as possible. I found that having him hold his duck helped him to calm down, but he is a talker and a leaner. The Gentle leader also helps a great deal. He was like a different dog when I switched from a regular collar and a GL.

Okay a video is great! you can come back to this question any time and give me a link to the video. Youtube works best and you can mark it a private so it is not open to the whole world.

OMG how precious! I can tell by the way he is laying that he is an easy going dog, lover of all, feels very self assured.

That is just how my Brody lays! Lover of all!

You can also spray a bandanna with Adaptil, which is what is in the calming collar and that should work the same. MY Vet has them all over the office for dogs that are excitable and she sprays the exam rooms with it.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
His life is FANTASTIC LOL. He just has zero cares about anything unrelated to finding new laps and conquering em. Really on a level that is SO FOCUSED is scary lol
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Really? That sounds like something worth trying. Is that something i can get at a pet store? Ill spray it on one of his sweaters n see how it goes.( yes hes 85lbs and wears sweaters lolol)

Yes you can get it right on chewy or a pet store. Chewy is very fast at sending things through the mail. Maybe two three days tops.

Here is a link to adaptil https://www.chewy.com/s/brand_facet:Adaptil?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYy1EPCeFfQTltvQwacfU4Ak94GxWu-BxtaICiDRY88UIM7gHIwAFnkaAn4-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
He just gets SO INSANELY EXCITED about people or dogs that he just forgets everything and has tunnel vision. Dont get me wrong, its ADORABLE. But I just wish I could bring him more places to socialize.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Cool. Yeah i use chewy. Im gonna check it out. Ill upload a vid once i take one.

I understand. and that sounds great with the video.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Cool will do. Thanks

When you do your video make sure someone else takes it and has you , the dog, and the visitor in the frame at all times.

Too bad you can't find a line of people to walk up and down , this might help him if he is treated to such a petting where it looks like it won't end. My dog got better when we visited the nursing home, he saw there was no lack of people that could pet him and so he became more calm. Easier to do when they are exposed to it often. Just hard when it is sporadic like company or seeing one or two dogs on a street.

Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 18 days ago
Hi Joseph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Richard. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist