Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My catahoula is very territorial and not very social she is…

Customer Question
My catahoula is very...

My catahoula is very territorial and not very social she is agressive with anyone not in the family

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She is very agressive and goes red with anyone outside the family

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is not physically hurt she is just aggressive

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Cookie and about 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cookie?

About 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Cookie?

She is a very sweet protective with my daughter and the family but she bit a neightbor child yesterday

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Dog Training
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 18 days ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. I also may be called away at any moment but if I am, I will respond as soon as I return. I hope that is not a problem.

Has Cookie had any obedience training?

What breed is Cookie?

Can you describe the circumstances surrounding the bite?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
no we tried in baton rouge before we moved and her temperant was to volutile
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
what is your number and do i put my card in again or will it charge it
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
call me(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
ok

I do not do phone calls. With 10 dogs, puppies, cats and my granddaughter it is difficult to hold a conversation on the phone.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
i understand that
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
how do I bring her out of the red zone

I'm typing up a response. If you could give me more information on what surrounded the bite, it would be helpful.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
regarding the bite
my daughter was playing outside with a neighbor child and she got passed my husband and bit the child. i think it was her idea of protecting her
my daughter

Cookie needs structure. The only way you can stop the aggressive behavior is to become the boss. To do that, she needs obedience training. It does not need to be a class initially. You can train her at home. he following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

You train her and then have others in the house start practicing the commands with her so she learns that they are the boss as well including your daughter. It can be hard with young children as they are prone to exaggerated screams and crying and falling which can upset any dog but if she has obedience training, she could have been commanded to sit or lay down which would have stopped her from even getting to the other child. Your child could have also given the command or yelled NO which would also stop her if she was trained properly.

You start with the obedience training. Once she is trained and you feel more comfortable with her actions you can introduce neighbors and friends to help. They can give commands and reward your dog with tasty treats like hot dog slices when she obeys. This will start Cookie associated neighbors and non family members with good things like treats and then she will not be as aggressive toward them. She will still protect but will take her cue from the humans rather than making her own decision on if there is a problem or not.

It is going to take a lot of obedience work and with the whole family. In the meantime, get a basket style muzzle for her to wear when she is around non family members. This will make the humans feel more comfortable and in turn ease her mind as well. Dogs pick up on your worry and assume it is the other person worrying you and not them. The basket muzzle will allow normal breathing but prevent bites.

Once she is doing well, then do some group classes so she becomes more socialized. This should help with her issue and you will have a much better behaved dog as well.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
thank you i truly appreciate your help have a great day

You are very welcome

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist