Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I just got a 2 year old dog from an animal shelter and she…

Customer Question
Thank you. I just...

Thank you. I just got a 2 year old dog from an animal shelter and she displays aggressive biting tendencies. She does calm down but it does take a while. i was just wondering about the best approach ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Nene 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

She is from an animal control center so I don not have any background

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Training
3/30/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 24 days ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Can you give me some additional information about the circumstances surrounding her aggressive biting such as what is going on when it happens, who is there, anything that happened before or during the episode?

How long have you had her?

What have you tried so far?

Has she had any obedience training from you yet?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have her for approximately a week. She displayed nippy behavior for the rescue that pulled her from animal control for me. She has a ton of energy but even after i let her run in a controlled area for a bit after I take her out of her kennel, shetries to jump and bite at your hands. I have tried telling her no and distracting her with appropriate bitey toys she tries to push them out of the way to get to the hands. She also seems to not like to be controlled by her collar and bites at the leash. She also shows some fear from the hands. Flinching and such.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She does calm down eventually and I can touch her quite a bit , but then she starts to get nippy again.

It sounds like you are dong some things correctly like letting her know what behavior you find unacceptable and redirecting the nipping to appropriate toys. The other thing you should do is reward her when she does not display that behavior. I suggest paper thin hot dog slivers as treats.

Often dogs nip to initiate play time so his nippy behavior may be her trying to get to get you to play with her. If she is a high energy breed, she may just need to have more exercise.

However. I would start with obedience training. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Start with obedience training and that will at least help with issue as you can command her to sit or lay down. Since she seems to have a lot of excess energy you might even consider agility training for her. You can read more on agility training here:

http://www.dogtraininggeek.com/dog-agility-training.html

I'd start leash training as well.

Dogs can be so stubborn. Don't feel bad most will do this initially if they have never been on a leash. If your dog is pulling while walking then a little retraining is in order. If your dog lays down, it's a matter of getting your dog to want to come with you regardless of the leash being attached. You will get multiple answers depending on whom you talk to as opinions differ on the best method to solve this problem. Some experts will suggest a Halti (head collar). I personally believe in establishing control over the dog with training. I use a chain collar for training purposes.

Number one, put your dog on a leash before leaving the house. Make your dog sit or lie down before leaving. You walk out first and the dog should follow you out. With a proper walk, the dog should be right at your side or slightly behind. You dog should be paying attention to you, frequently glancing at you to be sure you haven't changed your mind about where you are going. I will be using the word correction. A correction will indicate a short quick tug and release of the leash.

If they won't move or are hesitant, stopping, laying down, a stinky, tasty treat usually convinces them to follow. I use almost paper think pieces of hot dog as the oil from them coats your hand and keeps the smell on your hand. Let the dog smell the treat in your closed hand. If they get up and come to your side, feed them the treat. Put another in your closed fist and let the dog smell it as you move forward. The dog should follow. If he normally doesn't move forward, reward him with a treat and verbal praise. Gradually increase the amount of steps he must take by your side, smelling your hand in order to get a treat. Before you know it, your dog will be walking right next to you all the time, with or without treats. When you stop, praise your dog with your voice or a few pats to let your dog know how good he has done.

Important note: If he starts to stop or lays down, do not give him a treat, as this will teach him that if he does that you will give the treat. Try to time it so that he is always moving forward when a treat is given.

Once he is walking on a leash, he may start moving in front or pulling away from you. Keep your leash short, but without pressure on it. If the dog starts moving away, a correction toward you should be made. This shouldn't be a dragging, but more of a tug to get their attention. Occasional treats help with this phase too. If they stay where they belong for a time, reward them. Once your dog is pretty much always walking at your side, you will want to make a correction any time they stop paying attention to you. For instance, they are looking at a cat in a yard, give a correction so they look at you. They are busy looking ahead and haven't glanced at you for awhile, give a correction and reverse your direction. Do not stop and wait for the dog, just a quick correction and reverse and walk. They learn to keep an eye on you as well as on what else is going on.

This method should take care of the problem with him biting at the leash. I do think it will take a few weeks but she will settle down and stop the nipping.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist