Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My fiance's beagle snarls and growls when I try to shut and…

Customer Question
My fiance's beagle snarls...

My fiance's beagle snarls and growls when I try to shut and latch his kennel door. He's never done this to my fiance, but it's happened to me twice. Today he did it to my fiance when I was in the room. How do we fix this behavior?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your fiancé's dog?

He was a rescue dog, so there's no telling exactly what he's been through to affect his behavior. He snarls and growls when I try to shut and latch his kennel door. He's never done this to my fiance, but it's happened to me twice. Today he did it to my fiance when I was in the room. How do we fix this behavior?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your fiancé's dog seem to hurt?

He isn't hurt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Levon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Levon?

He's typically a slightly skittish dog, but very loving and sweet. This aggressive behavior is atypical and clearly only directed toward me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
3/27/2018
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed of dog is Levon?

How long have you had him?

How is he when you try to take a valued item from him such as food, a bone, a toy etc?

How big is the cage? Is there anything in the cage with him?

What have you tried so far?

Hi Sally.Levon is a mutt, but primarily a pocket Beagle.My fiance adopted him about a month before we met, so almost 2 years.He doesn't care anything about toys, but he loves food. I've never tried to take anything away from him, so I don't really know how he'd react. He could be aggressive, but I don't want to project today's event on that.The crate size is probably about 3 by 3 by 3? There's a soft blanket in the cage, but since he doesn't care about toys, nothing else.As the event was occurring, I backed away and talked to him in calm tones. I tried to leave him in his crate, but as it wasn't latched and I didn't want to have my fingers bit, he eventually came out. He was still defensive for a bit outside of his cage, so I backed away and got down on his level, and he eventually cowered toward me.

Thank you. there sounds like there could be a couple of things going on and one would definitely be the fact that he is a skittish dog. It is possible that the former owner also used the the crate as punishment.

But with a scared dog, in a crate they feel trapped, and thus they growl to move people away. It is a fight or flight mode.

There are a couple of things you can try to do. If he is not destructive, try locking him in the kitchen or bathroom with his bed and water dish. The room size will be bigger and he will feel less panicked.

You can also try a bigger crate so that there is more room, toss a piece of hot dog in the back of the crate and then lock the door while he is eating it. This will have him begin to see the crate and you differently.

Just give one command , kennel, do not talk to him , or look at him when you put him in. This is seen as a challenge to the dog and a frightened dog will magnify that challenge 100 times. Look away after the dog goes in and close the door.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.