Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Second opinion] My 3 month old puppy refuses to poop or pee…

Second opinion] My 3 month...
Second opinion] My 3 month old puppy refuses to poop or pee outsideJA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?Customer: OzzyJA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ozzy?Customer: Just that we will take him outside for long periods of time and the moment we go inside is when he deficates also we do have another dog that is older who already knows to go outside
3/27/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed of dog is Ozzy?

Where did you get him from and how long have you had him?

What have you done so far with training? IN other words what do you do when you take him out to potty?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He is a Lab/Heeler
A friend found a litter of puppies that was abandoned on the freeway and we bought one when he was only around a month old
And, at our apartment complex they have a dog park where they can urinate, so i take him out along with our other dog bowie who is a 10 month old Lab/bordercollie
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The older one Bowie was trained on pee pads and he transitioned super easily into going outside, but Ozzy will be outside for long periods at a time and will hold it for the moment we get back inside

Okay lets take away the pads as you are just teaching him to go indoors so that is confusing.

HE needs to be taken out every two hours, after play , after eating and after nap.

Puppies this age distract very easily, a wind, a bird, a car going down the street will have them forget what they have gone out to do. So I will put potty training outline below for you.

POTTY TRAINING starting over

Copyright Sally G

To start over the dog must not have run of the home because by allowing this you are setting the dog up to fail. So it is important the dog be kept in a crate or on a tether next to its bed and food bowls as dogs do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. If you can’t watch the dog 100% then the dog must be contained and sometimes when people get busy around the house they actually tether the dog to them so they can watch them

Clean all areas you know that the dog has urinated with a cleanser made just for dog urine or it will be attracted back to those spots and continue to eliminate there.

Take the dog out via a leash and give a potty command, such as “go potty” and continue to say go potty even as the dog is eliminating so the dog associates the command with the act. Once done eliminating, praise and reward the dog, but the reward must be special and something the dog will only get when it potties outside so it associates this with that command and the act. Something like hot dog slivers work well or cheese chunks.

Puppies should be taken out every two hours as well as after play, nap, and eating. Sometimes a puppy gets involved and actually forget that they have to go until it is too late. Also pups outside become distracted by wind, shadows, noises, etc. so it is important to redirect them if you feel that they are not finished going or when you bring them back inside then crate them, wait ten minutes and take them out again.

Inside the home , once you have cleaned all areas the dog is known to go in, start to sprinkle some of its kibble or treats in those areas so the dog begins to see them as an eating area. Eventually you can replace that with small bowls of water until the dog is fully trained

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok the first person said something similar, give a command, special treat, etc.
Also worth mentioning, there are two other dogs living here currently one permanent, one temporary. Should each be taken out separately so as to avoid distractions?

For now I would take them out separately. I might also hang a bell on the door and ring that each time you go out. This will eventually have the dog ring it to go outside as well as things progress.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok we can definitely do that! Also the other expert said to do a method in which, we leave him in his kennel if he does pee in the house and until he starts peeing outside he cannot walk around and play with the other dog, instead we carry him too and from his kennel. What are your thoughts on that?

Yes, You can take him out, if he does not go then put him back in his kennel, wait ten minutes and take him out again. A dog that is not fully house trained should not have full access to roam or we are setting them up to fail. Put him in the crate when you are busy as well. He is likely to bark sooner if he has to potty if locked in a crate.

Most dogs will get the potty on command very quickly , two weeks unless it is a real slow learner, when we treat with yummy things only when they potty outside they turn to learn quicker. And they will likely go on command anytime you take them out in public. This is how we teach service dogs.

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok that's perfect thank you so much! We've been really stressed and were worried we'd eventually have to give him away, but after your guy's advice i feel a lot better

If you run into problems we are here for you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist