Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

Second opinion] I have a 2yr old Great Pyrenees dog who

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2yr old Great Pyrenees dog who lives with 3 other dogs and has suddenly got aggressive out of the blue towards the 2males (not any food around nothing) does not bite but scares the other dogs bad, what is going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Dudley and he,s 18months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Dudley?

No otherwise he,s just a gentle giant 120lbs

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How often do you train Dudley?

Was this a sudden onset or has Dudley been getting aggressive over time?

Have you had the blood tested for a Thyroid problem?

What commands does Dudley know and listen to the first time you give them?

What have you tried so far?

I work with him some daily
About a year ago it happened twice and then we went to obidence training and it did not happen again until resently but he stops when I touch him but it is getting to be more often
No but I am going to the vet,s this Wednesday and I,ll make sure that is one of the test
Sit, stop walk no
The first time it happened last week every time I saw his eyes dilate big I would put his face in my hands and tell him no a few times till I saw the eyes go back to normal but when he does it before I can stop him I grab him and say no then put him in the kennel for a few minutes to calm down and that works for the day but it seems like I,m having to defuse it more and more

I am working on your answer now

Use the leave it when you see he is about to act out, then do the recall or go to bed/stay. It is better if you can get him under your vocals .

From that point you may want to start rewarding all good behavior you see as far as interactions with the other dogs , as the more you reward good behavior , the more it is likely to emerge and wipe out bad behavior.

I would suggest clicker training which is positive based training and I would train several times a day. You can use the dogs daily dose of kibble as reward rather than giving him a full bowl of food so that you are seen more of head of household .

I would also work in the learn to earn program, again this is to have the dog listen and see you in a different light. When you have control over food and the dog only gets it with good behavior, then you are likely to get more good behavior.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

leave it Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

I,ll give it a try and see what happens...do you agree on giving him top dog status in the household?
Well, only to a certain extent. There may be one that growls a little to let the others know they mean business, but when you have a multiple dog home, it is better for the owner to always be seen as the one in charge. To always supersede over the dog that thinks it's in charge. All of this can be done just by controlling everything they need or want. But at the same time doing so by rewarding good behavior.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.