Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My dog is trained and has just recently started breaking out…

Customer Question
My dog is trained...

My dog is trained and has just recently started breaking out of her kennel and peeing on the floor as well as tearing the house apart which she’s never done

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is Trained?

8

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Training
3/24/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 26 days ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What breed is your dog?

Is she 8 years old or 8 months old?

Is she spayed?

Does she have a wire fold up style crate or other style crate?

Is it feces or urine or both?

Is she drinking more than normal?

Has she been checked for parasites lately?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She’s a boxer mix, 8 years old, spayed and it’s a wire fold up, she’s pooped and peed in the house, she’s still drinking about the same amount as usual and she has not been checked for parasites lately

thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

This could be a few different things. One could be a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. Since she isn't drinking more, it may not be a uti. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Other causes for frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing, and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

This might also be incontinence probably related to age. The bladder sphincter may not be functioning as well as it used to. This happens frequently after a dog is spayed and in older dogs as well. You can read more on it at this site as well as treatment options.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1724

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1634&articleid=487

One drug frequently prescribed is phenylpropanolamine which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/phenylpropanolamine

http://www.prnpharmacal.com/proin/

.

Disc issues can also cause your dog to lose control of the bladder as well. I would suggest switching to a solid sided crate to prevent escape or an empire escape proof crate to limit the destructive behavior. She might also be starting with Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) and has been seen in dogs younger than yours. There is a wonderful site that explains it well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet.

The good news is that there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs.

Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/applied-behavior/house-soiling-cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome?96m5sri9MY

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can a vet determine exactly what problem is occurring? And would you recommend me taking her in to get checked

Your vet could run tests to rule out causes and then if he doesn't find anything, he would rule it incontinence.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you

You are very welcome.

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist