Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a one-year-old staff terrier who gets sick / drools…

I have a one-year-old staff...
I have a one-year-old staff terrier who gets sick / drools everywhere when I take her in the car. I have tried meds, (rugby travel sickness pills) and tryptophan tablets, rewarding with food by taking short trips to dunkin donuts, crates, no crate, windows open / closed , AC on/off and nothing works. I really want to take her places in the car. Any suggestions? Thank you.
3/21/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like he may be getting motion sickness and the motion sickness is causing the behavior issue. . Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip.I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.

For anxiety, herbal rescue remedy is often used, but another option is a DAP collar that uses pheromones to calm a dog. It emits pheromones similar to those produced by a mother when nursing pups. You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put him in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so he sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. He may still be anxious since he is used to it making him uncomfortable, so I would still use a DAP collar so he is calmer as well.

Now I know you have been using the travel sickness pills but the dramamine works differently than the ones you are using. I would definitely give that a try.

Now to desensitize her to car trips you need to go slowly. First start by just getting her in the car, rewarding her with some tasty hot dog slivers and letting her back out. Gradually increase the amount of time that she is in the car without it moving or even being on. After she is doing well you will start the car but not move it. Do that for a week or so. Then you will move it up and down the driveway, rewarding her at each step in training with the tasty treats. If he starts drooling then you have moved too fast, slow back down. If he is doing good, then go for a trip around the block gradually increasing the length of the car ride until she has no problems. .

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?