Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I adopted a small terrier mix (2 years old) from a pet

Customer Question
I adopted a small...

I adopted a small terrier mix (2 years old) from a pet rescue in December, 2017. She is a lovely little dog only she bites people who come into my yard or home. My friends are afraid to come to my home as she bites them. I live alone and my friends are afraid that someday they may have to go into my home if any thing would happen to me and they could not get in because of the biting. I have taken her to obedience training and spend as much time with her as I can (I am a teacher and I am gone from 6:30 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday. Please, help me. I will be moving to a retirement community next year and I am afraid she would bite someone and I will be used.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

I am taking her to obedience training and she is doing well. She has had a complete physical from my vet and is very healthy. I love her so but this behavior is scary. A delivery man came to the door on Saturday and she all most went through the door after him.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Training
3/21/2018
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What is the dog's personality normally? Does she act shy or fearful of people to begin with?

Is her tail straight out or slightly up when she does this or is it down?

Are her ears up and forward or back?

What has your training taught you to do for this or what have you tried already?