Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My son's dog likes to sleep in the bed with me when I visit…

My son's dog likes...

My son's dog likes to sleep in the bed with me when I visit but if my son or daughter-in-law come into the room he starts growling. Most of the time he is under the covers and doesn't see who walks in. I'm wondering why he would growl at his owners. My husband thinks that it might be because the dog thinks I'm vulnerable because I'm "asleep". He is not aggressive towards them any other time. In fact, he is very timid with my daughter-in-law.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

It's the growling at his owners that I'm concerned with, not lethargy. His name is ***** ***** he is about 5 years old. He is a rescue dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Walter?

My daughter-in-law is constantly talking about getting rid of him and would be happy if she didn't have to deal with him. Both my son and daughter-in-law are pretty harsh on him when they are angry with him. They never hit him but he will get in trouble for something he did hours before when they were gone. I'm not sure he understands why they are angry with him at the time.

3/19/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

It sounds like there are more issues with the dog than just growling when he is in bed with you.

You are correct. a dog has no idea why he is in trouble hours later. If you can't catch the do gin the act then you can't do anything. In fact punishment will only make it worse, the dog should be redirected to something you want it to do instead.

Can you tell me how is the dog if it has a valued item such as food, bone toys, etc, can anyone take it from the dog?

What is its personality normally, outgoing with people , shy, fearful etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He loves to play with people and his toys. They have a one year old and he is very gentle if the baby takes his toy. He will take it back but has never growled or snapped at the baby. My son says he is food aggressive but I’ve not seen it when I feed him. When I first met Walter, he growled at me but quickly took to me. I visit twice a year and he is always excited to see me.My son and daughter-in-law believes he knows what he’s done wrong when they’ve been gone because he is quiet when they return and immediately cowards when he sees them.I’m trying to be very careful about not being the stereotypical mother-in-law but I feel like he is definitely picking up on my daughter-in-law’s hostilities towards him. She complains about him constantly. She usually walks him in the morning and the feeds him before work. The other morning she took him for a quick walk and when she came back she said he didn’t poop so he doesn’t get fed because she didn’t want him “pooping in the house”. In the 4 years that they’ve had him he has only done that once and that time he had some diarrhea and couldn’t hold it. I was here when it happened. He really is an awesome dog.

Dogs will react to a person’s body langue and tone of voice which is likely why the dog cowers when she comes home. They will also remember poor treatment of them in certain rooms, time of day etc. and so they will go into that guilty look because they expect the owner is going to treat them a certain way.

For her to punish a dog because it did not have a bowel movement in a timely manner by not feeding it at normal feeding times tells me she does not understand dogs or their behavior.

I suspect that he growls when he is with you because he does not want to be taken out of the room by your son or daughter in law. Even though he is under the covers he knows their footsteps , their smell etc. so it is likely he knows who is entering the room. People do not change in habits very much and dogs learn those habits to exist in the humans world.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** sense. I’ll have a conversation with my son. Hopefully they’ll understand what you’re saying. I feel like my son should take over the complete care of the dog. Unfortunately I have to go home to another state on the 2nd. I appreciate your help. Thank you again.

You are very welcome. Safe travels and hopefully your Son will take over.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist