Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I recently rescued a 1 year old husky named Oki from a kill…

Customer Question
I recently rescued a 1...
I recently rescued a 1 year old husky named Oki from a kill shelter. He had an issue urinating. The solution was to neuter him. Even without balls he still thinks he has what it takes to be alpha male. How do I establish dominance?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Training
3/18/2018
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long have you had him?

How long ago was he neutered?

What have you tired so far?

Are you doing obedience work with him?

If so, how often are you training? I do mean formal time set aside just to practice commands?

How often is he walked?

What toys does he have?

What behavior are you seeing that you wish to stop specifically?

I apologize for the delayed response. I have been working.How long have you had him? I have had him a week today. Monday 3/20How long ago was he neutered? He was neutered on 3/15. He had an enlarged prostate that caused him trouble urinating. Vet said it was rare in a pup this young, but the neutering has solved the problem and he is back to full health.What have you tired so far? I have the clicker and treat. He does not respond to the clicker and voice commands, but will respond to "sit" when he sees a treat in my hand.Are you doing obedience work with him? I am trying but he is a bit more stubborn than the last dog I trained.If so, how often are you training? I do mean formal time set aside just to practice commands? I give it a good 15 mins a day just trying to get him to understand that the clicker means that hes doing things right. So far sit is all he does.How often is he walked? Everyday for 30 minsWhat toys does he have? He has a bone to chew on as well as a few balls.What behavior are you seeing that you wish to stop specifically? He chewed up a slip under my door, also tore down and chewed up some blinds.
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 3 months ago

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

The Husky breed is a very strong willed breed. He has not been neutered long enough for all the male hormones to have been reduced so he would still be behaving much like he would before being neutered. It can take up to 30 days for the hormones to be reduced.

Once the hormones are reduced you may see his dominance reduced a bit but he is still a husky and strong willed so you can not count on that. I do not use a clicker for training purposes for the most part but may fellow trainers do so I do know that it can be difficult initially with a clicker. To start with a clicker you reward him with the clicker and treat. As he learns that a click means a treat, you start rewarding him paying attention to you. I can give you some excellent sites on clicker training.

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

Here are some video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

I prefer to use a balanced approach to training which involves treats for desired behavior and reprimands for undesired behavior though the reprimands are verbal. This site is one of the best methods and the ones that I personally use in training. I do use paper thin hot dog slivers to train with as dogs love them and the oil coats your hand which keeps the dog's attention on you. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

They also need a lot of exercise and most people recommend at least 2 walks of an hour each time. They also recommend that the walk be a fast paced walk to tire him out. It is best initially to crate him until you are sure his destructive phase is past. He may need to be closer to 2 years old to settle down.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.