Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I would like a second opion in fe a vet not a assistant ...I…

I would like a second...
I would like a second opion in fe a vet not a assistant ...I have just lost my 12 year and 3months Westie. She was fine Friday night did notice some hard stuff around her nose. I thought it was from digging in the cat box. Friday night she got down from bed and ask to get up. Being a high bed I would have to pick her up. When we woke Saturday she seemed a little tired. She did move around on Saturday but just looked like she had a little bug or are too much car poop. Sunday she was still tired I kept her upstairs with me away from her two brothers. She got down later in the day she drank water and through it up. I thought it was from drinking too fast which has happened in the pass. Late evening she sounded congestes I realized her nose was really blocked I cleared it she sounded better. I was going to take her to the vet first thing Monday. Though when I woke early in the morning she had passed. She was still warm but getting stiff. I am going through such guilt that I didn’t take her in on Saturday. She was in good health acted like a puppy. She has two brothers from the same litter that act older than her. I though one of them would have been first! I am still in shock! What could have happened?
3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm going to simplify the history you provided which will be easier for us to discuss...

Friday night - hard stuff around nose - dried discharge?

Saturday - appeared tired

Sunday - appeared tired; drank and vomited the water; sounded congested most likely nasal congestion as cleaning away the discharge reduced the sounds

Monday morning - found dead

Regretfully, these signs aren't consistent with life-threatening disorders. Nasal disorders, lethargy, or vomiting aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Can you think of any signs that were present prior to this weekend that might give us an idea of why she was lost? Drinking more than usual, urinating a larger amount of urine than usual, appetite excessive or diminished, breathing difficulty (dyspnea) as evidenced by an increased respiratory rate, coughing; pale mucous membranes such as a white tongue and gums (profound anemia), etc.?

On Friday I don’t think she really ate though was acting fine. Saturday morning she wasn’t interested in the milk none the other two dogs had gotten. I did get her to eat a soft piece of cheese and then a soft treat. She had gone over to the bowls o think she just drank. She just seemed tired I did check her teeth that night which she wasn’t really letting me get to much of a look. Gums looked ok though I did not get a good look at the back. I felt around on the outside to see if there was any facial swelling or tenderness. Nothing. Sunday morning she still just seemed tired. Later on the after noon was when she had started downing water and then threw it up. She has done that when she gulps too fast. I think a fever might have been in early evening that’s when she was downing water again then threw it up. It was late evening when she got up and peed a good amount then a little later she started making a gagging sound then drank more water and that’s when I started to worry she was trying to hide in a corner she does not normally go to with her nose in the corner. She stopped I had moved her to her bed then that’s when the gagging sound got worse. I wasn’t sure if it was gagging or breathing. I then check her nose and there was a lot of black stuff blocking it. So I cleared it then she quieted down. I stayed up another hour with her. She seemed ok. I was going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning. Today I checked the back yard to see if she had gotten a dead mouse or anything. I did find a stool that looked like it might have been a soft one with pieces of a tooth in it. I do have two other dogs. I also found slugs near it. There was also a nick of water that looke strange it was resish with redish paricals floating.

Thank you for the additional information. Her polydipsia (increased thirst) is a clue as is the "nick (?) of water with red (blood?) in it. Please clarify "nick" for me.

A bucket with redish water didn’t look like blood I was thinking some kind of alge?

Thank you. Deaths in dogs apparently well just a few days prior are often heart-related, due to metabolic disorders that can be life-threatening yet remain non-clinical for quite some time prior to death such as Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), toxins (the algae?), or GI obstruction/perforation (there was no evidence of obstruction/perforation). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Would she have a fever with heart issue and wouldn’t there be a sezure? I was wondering if it was a upper tooth she might have gone septic? The tooth I found was really broke up looked like a molar. Would a fever make her want to drink? The nasel and gagging drainage from the infection?

Most heart conditions in dogs don't cause fever. Heart conditions can cause syncope ("fainting") but not seizures unless a blood clot associated with the heart disease entered the brain. In an otherwise normal dog a tooth root abscess isn't expected to cause sepsis. My patient would need to be immunocompromised by age, disease, or chemotherapy for that to be a significant consideration.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your input. I was feeling guilty that I did not get her in and get antibiotics. I thought I would have at least 3 more years with her. This has been very hard. At least she didn’t suffer long. She was always such a lively and loving baby. I was gone tues through Thursday and she waits for me I’m the beginning and howls for a little bit. Feeling bad for that too I just loved my baby missing her so much!😢

You're quite welcome. She was lucky to have you. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.