Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a male queensland heeler and im having some serious…

Hello i have a...

Hello i have a male queensland heeler and im having some serious issues with and i don't want him to be put down. Whenever we try to put a leash and collar on him he goes nuts bits screams he won't ride in the car without doing the same thing while im driving and today he bit my husband on his side ripped ahole and he has a good size cut in the shape of his mouth what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

My dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Gunner and he is about hes about 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Gunner?

His anxiety level is bad

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or text whatevers quicker oh does it cost more to talk on the phone or is it part of the membership
3/12/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is Gunner neutered?-

What obedience training has he had?

Has he ever drooled or vomited on car rides?

What type of collar and leash are you using?

Is the collar on him all the time and you are trying to put a leash on?

Does he bite you as well?

What else causes him anxiety?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gunner is not yet neutered i am hoping to have that done in the near future. Gunner has had no training just what i have taught him witch is not much i don't really know how i have never had any of my dogs professionally trained and i have never had one act like this one. no vomit or drool he has peed on the floor board of my suv. I am using a prong metal collar and a chain leash as he chews the harness off his seat belt and his collar and it wasn't loos on him he is quick and a real houdini. The caller is not on at all times because i don't want him want it to hurt him but it is on him when i put the leash on.yes he does bite me too he just hasn't bitten me as bad i have been lucky. other things that cause him anxiety are when i leave, when i get home and only me, he doesnt do this with my husband. just the other night he started pacing whining and looking up at the ceiling on and off the bed then he would run around the house get back on the bed to do it all over again. I finally gave him benadryl to make him sleep. He was fine the next day he did this once as a really small pup and i thought maybe he had found one of my antidepressant pills on the floor and took it but again he finally calmed down latter that evening and he started in the am. hope this helps thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh yes and i also use a shock collar but it doesn't really faze him, unless its to low i dont know how high to set it thanks

I've got your answers and am typing up your reply.

Get a harness for Gunner and leave it on him. Since it isn't a neck collar it shouldn't matter much it if gets caught on something. This will at least help with leashing him. If you have tried a shock collar on him, then it is no wonder he doesn't want you putting a collar on him.

He does need to be neutered and soon. It will help cut down on any dominance aggression.

he also needs obedience training desperately. It does not have to be a formal obedience class yet but does need to be formal training. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

This training establishes the humans as the boss. When a dog feels they are the boss, they feel it is ok to reprimand the humans if the humans do anything he doesn't want them to do such as put on a leash. make him move out of the way or even wake him up. They will growl and nip to control the humans. Each time a dog obeys a comand it makes them a little more submissive to the one giving the commands even if they only obey for the treats they get. Over time, it becomes habit to obey and they are totally submissive to the humans. submissive dogs do not reprimand their bosses. You might start the training yourself so he learns the commands and then bring other members of the household in on the training sessions until he is obeying everyone equally and see all the humans as his bosses. I suggest tasty hot dog slivers be used as the treats. Most dogs are eager to work for those treats.

You might also want to rule out a thyroid condition since hypothyroidism can cause sudden aggression in dogs. I don't believe this is the case, but I have to mention it. Read about this here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-behavior-training/medical-causes-of-aggression-in-dogs/

http://www.tropicaldogtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Dodman_MA10.pdf

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.954.6009&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Dogs that are allowed on furniture (even if put on the furniture) tend to feel that since they are elevated to your level or higher if on your lap, they mentally feel elevated as well in the pack order and thus are the boss. So if he is currently allowed on furniture, keeping him on the floor can help lower him mentally back to a submissive position in the pack. So the first thing is to not allow him higher that the humans or even on the same level. Attach a leash and use it to remove him from the furniture. Give a correction in the form of a short tug to get his attention and firm "NO" when he attempts to get on and a treat when he starts not trying to get on the furniture. Thus you are providing consequences for the getting on the furniture and positive reinforcement for the desired behavior (not attempting to get on the furniture).

For car rides, it might be car sickness causing the issues. It may not be causing him to vomit, but is making him uncomfortable. Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip.I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.

For anxiety, herbal rescue remedy is often used, but another option is a DAP collar that uses pheromones to calm a dog. It emits pheromones similar to those produced by a mother when nursing pups. You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put him in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so he sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. He may still be anxious since he is used to it making him uncomfortable, so I would still use a DAP collar so he is calmer as well.

His behavior in the house where he is looking at the ceiling and running around may be related to critters in the walls. My dogs exhibited that behavior when mice move into the house. They would run around in the walls and ceilings and we didn't hear them but the dogs did and we really thought the dogs were going crazy until we found a mouse nest. The behavior stopped once we got rid of the mice. So you might want to check around under the sink and near water sources to see if there is any dropping that might indicate you do have mice in the house or critters in the attic if you have one. I'd check that out. Dogs can tend to act nuts from time to time in the house running all over and jumping on the furniture and off. Dogs that are not getting enough exercise tend to do this more often than dogs that are walked all the time.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i cant afford the phone call today sorry I also wanted to let you know we cant bathe him without him screaming like we are killing him and biting

You might want to work on the bath issue once it gets warmer out by introducing a kiddie pool into the yard and see if you can not introduce him to water as a play thing rather than something that is not pleasant. Of course, once he is obedience trained you will have more control over him so bath won't be such a chore.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist