Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My 2 year teacup pomererian lives with me in an apartment in…

My 2 year teacup...

My 2 year teacup pomerer***** *****ves with me in an apartment in a retirement community and rides with me on an electric wheelchair. He is the darling of the community and is usually well behaved. He has taken to barking whenever I leave him with someone else until I am out of sight. This is disturbing to the residents

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He is barking whenever I leave him with someone else here at the community which I have done for 2 years. He has always been quiet but the barking has gotten much worse in the last couple of months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to hurt. He just doesn't want me to leave him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Tuffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Tuffy?

He is 4 lbs and has always been the darling of the community because of his good behavior. If I keep him with me at all times, he is fine. He is spoiled

2/27/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This might be the start of separation anxiety. You can correct it though. One step would be to start obedience training with him. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

This just helps get him used to obeying your commands and keeps you the boss of him. Now you also have some options on training him not to bark. As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the pup the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

Clicker training also provides an interesting technique for stopping excessive barking which you can read about here:

http://www.caninetlc.com/articles/threebarkrule

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, or a shock bark collars. I''m assuming you would want the citronella spray bark collar. It gives a spray as a reprimand for barking. It is pretty effective at stopping barking. This should give you a few different ways to try and stop the barking. It is best to try as many different methods at the same time.

Now you can also do things that might make the dog think you are leaving him with others and then don't leave him. For instance if you always put him on someone's lap and then leave, put him on their lap and don't leave or if you are leaving, try a different approach to leaving. Sometimes we put on coats or pick up keys which signals to a dog that we are leaving, try doing these things when you are not leaving or do not do them when you are leaving.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I thought I'd write a quick note to see how things are going. Did you find my answer helpful? I'd love to know. If you did find my responses helpful, I would appreciate a 5 star rating so I can continue to help others. Please let me know.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist