Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

She is 7 years old and my mothers dog whom will be

She is 7 years...

She is 7 years old and my mothers dog whom will be discharged from rehab Friday. The dog started off the first few days as being nervous then had about 5 days of being a good dog. For the last 5 days she has been destructive, torn my curtains to shred, nipped at my significant other because he was trying to put her in a crate while he was gone from the house, will not go to the bathroom outside for my significant other and when brought back in goes into our bedroom and poops and pees

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Ellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?

She is 7 years old, spayed, and cowers whena open hand is brought toward her face. She was shut up in a room for 12 hours with no food or water when my mother was taken to the hospital and was not taken outside for 6 hours prior to that. She did not have an accident which I find amazing

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2018
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

So are you trying to find solutions for the next couple of days until your mother is out of rehab?

Or are you interested in a longer more permanent solution to the problem? That will take longer than just a day or two.

Has she had any obedience training?

No she has not had obedience training. I think my mother is going to decline over the next couple years so we are going to have the dog more very soon. In the future I anticipate obedience training but wonder about the age of the dog and being successful.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

She definitely needs obedience training and your husband will need to participate in the process. Dogs bite for a few reasons. One is they are scared and lash out before the person can hurt them. The other reason is they are dominant and use nipping to control the people around them. In both cases obedience training helps.

Obedience training teaches a dog that when a human says a specific command, they expect the dog to do a specific thing. When the dog is rewarded for doing that specific thing, the dog gains self confidence around that human and others and there is less fear of people. In addition, each time a dog obeys a command from someone even if it is for a treat, they become a little more submissive to that person. This is a good because dogs do not reprimand (growl and nip) someone that is the boss.

With obedience training, the dog can be ordered into the crate and your husband won't have to physically touch her. She will obey his commands. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Dogs that are allowed on furniture (even if put on the furniture) tend to feel that since they are elevated to your level or higher if on your lap, they mentally feel elevated as well in the pack order and thus are the boss. Keeping them on the floor can help lower them mentally back to a submissive position in the pack. So the first thing is to not allow him higher that the humans or even on the same level. Attach a leash and use it to remove him from the furniture. Give a correction in the form of a short tug to get his attention and firm "NO" when he attempts to get on and a treat when he starts not trying to get on the furniture. Thus you are providing consequences for the getting on the furniture and positive reinforcement for the desired behavior (not attempting to get on the furniture).

Feed her in the crate so she associates it with a positive experience. In addition, have a special treat like a tiny hot dog sliver or tiny piece of cheese. Each time you put her food in there say a command like "IN" and toss the treat in so she follows it. Do not shut the door. She will start associating the command IN with going into the crate and the treats. When she starts anticipating the treat and going in first, hold off on giving the treat until she is all the way in. After a week or so, close the door behind her and then give the treat. Be sure and let her right back out if she is not eating or as soon as she is done eating. The aim is for her to see the crate as a good place and the command associated with the treat and not being contained for long periods of time. It takes a few weeks but some dogs learn very quickly. Start now just practicing and regardless of her age, she will remember and it will be easier the next time you have her. Your mother can also work with her on the command and obedience.

Dogs get bored easy s it is best to have a variety of toys for them to play with. You also need to rotate them so the dog does not become bored, so only put down half or a third of them and change them out every week. Get a kong with treat compartment or even two. Fill with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give it to the dog before those hours she is being destructive. If her mouth is busy with the kong, she won't be destructive. Crating her prevents destruction too and being crated with a tasty treat like a frozen yogurt kon will not seem like a punishment and protect your belongings as well.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Thank you for your suggestions. I wish I had known about this resource beforehand.

You are very welcome. Even after you rate my response, you can come back for followup questions or clarification.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?